Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the compressibility of different gases using the Beattie-Bridgeman equation. The Z factor, which represents compressibility, is calculated based on pressure, temperature, volume of a mole of gas, and empirical constants A, B, and C. The conversation also mentions that the molar gas constant R can be looked up and that the temperature should be in Kelvin. The person is new to this and needs some guidance, but has figured out the constants and understands the process. Another person also asks for help with the same topic.
Chris P
I need to calculate the compressability of several gases as they are being added to a storage cylinder. I would like to use the Beattie-Bridgeman equation as described here.

I need to be able to compute the Z factor (compressability) for a given gas at a given pressure.

I am a bit new to this and need some help to work my way through this.

So here is where I am at (far behind from what I can tell)

P = pressure (this is what we are solving?)

R = molar gas constant (I assume you look this up somewhere)

T = temperature (From what I have read this is in K)

V = volume of a mole of gas (The what?)

A, B and c = empirical constants (I assume these are dirrerent for different gases. Is there a table somewhere?)

I am dealing with O2, HE and Air (assuming .21 FO2 and .79 FN)

Ususally I can figure out complex things like this is I get a shove in the right direction. Thanks

Attachments

• beattie.gif
    beattie.gif
    616 bytes · Views: 665
Physics news on Phys.org
Got the constants and figured out everything.

Hi!

I am looking for the same stuff, can you help me on this?

1. What is the Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model?

The Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model is a thermodynamic model used to describe the behavior of real gases. It takes into account intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior of gases, unlike the ideal gas law which assumes gases behave ideally.

2. How does the Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model differ from the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law only considers volume, temperature, and pressure of a gas, while the Beattie-Bridgeman model also takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between gas molecules. This makes it more accurate for describing the behavior of real gases.

3. What are the limitations of the Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model?

The Beattie-Bridgeman model is most accurate at low to moderate pressures and temperatures. At high pressures and temperatures, it may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases due to the complexity of intermolecular forces.

4. How is the Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model used in practical applications?

The Beattie-Bridgeman model is commonly used in chemical engineering and thermodynamics to predict the behavior of real gases in industrial processes. It is also used in the design of gas pipelines and storage facilities to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. Who developed the Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model?

The Beattie-Bridgeman Real Gas Model was developed by Scottish physicist John Beattie and American chemist Percy Williams Bridgeman in the early 20th century. Their work on real gases contributed significantly to the field of thermodynamics and continues to be studied and applied today.