Looking for programmable USB remote

• Thread starter dmehling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary, the person is looking for a compact wireless USB remote with customizable hotkeys to launch customized macros. They have searched on Google but have only found wireless numeric keypads. They suggest trying a wireless Microsoft mouse or using Autohotkey for more advanced customization. They also mention the possibility of using a mobile device with Bluetooth capabilities to control a laptop.
dmehling
I am looking for a wireless USB remote with customizable hotkeys that I can assign to launch customized macros. I haven't really found anything made specifically for that purpose. The best I came up with are wireless numeric keypads but that is still not good enough. I need something compact and I only need a few buttons.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Duh! I've been searching on there for hours.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+"USB+remote"+customizable
yielded
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000513KE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

My wireless Microsoft mouse has buttons that can customized in software [for example, my middle mouse button can be used to do lots of things]. You might find something like Autohotkey useful with it if this is too limited and you need to do something fancy. I know Microsoft has a wireless presenter for PowerPoint-type stuff. I suspect it can be customized as well.

If you have a mobile device with Bluetooth capabilities there's "remote control" software that you can install to control a laptop, for example.

I've seen this done with a PocketPC and an Apple laptop.

1. What is a programmable USB remote?

A programmable USB remote is a device that can be connected to a computer or other electronic device via USB and programmed to perform specific tasks or control certain functions.

2. How does a programmable USB remote work?

A programmable USB remote typically works by first being plugged into a computer or device via USB. Then, using specialized software, the remote can be programmed to send specific commands or signals to the connected device.

3. What are the benefits of using a programmable USB remote?

There are several benefits to using a programmable USB remote. It allows for more efficient and streamlined control of devices, eliminates the need for multiple remotes, and can be customized to fit specific needs or preferences.

4. Can a programmable USB remote work with any device?

It depends on the specific remote and its capabilities. Some programmable USB remotes may only work with certain devices or brands, while others may be more versatile and compatible with a wider range of devices.

5. How do I choose the right programmable USB remote for my needs?

When choosing a programmable USB remote, consider what devices you want to control, the range of functions you want the remote to have, and any other specific features or preferences. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different models to find the best fit for your needs.