Hot Water Feeling Cold: A Neuroscientific Explanation

In summary, when you suddenly put your hand into very hot water, it may feel cold for the first second because of the transfer of energy from the hot particles to your hand, as well as the poor thermal conductance of your body tissue. Additionally, there may be a slight lag due to impulses traveling to and from the brain. This phenomenon is known as the "cold/hot grille illusion" and is a result of both nerves being stimulated, but one reaching the brain milliseconds sooner. It is difficult for the nervous system to distinguish between very hot and very cold objects, which can lead to tactile hallucinations.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
If you suddenly put your hand into very hot water it feels cold (or atleast, it's hard to tell if it's hot or cold) for the first second.
Why is this so?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it's because of two things: Firstly the transfer of energy from the "hot" particles in the water to your hand. Tempreture is a measure of kinetic energy of particles. A hotter tempreture means a greater velocity of the particles. For heat to be transferred the kinetic energy must be transferred to your hand for collisions, also heat needs to be transferred through yourbody tissue which has a poor thermal conductance. Although there were be a slight lag between your hand heating up from the water it would be very slight. I pressume much of the time difference is due to impulses traveling to and from the brain to tell your body that the water is hot.

This would be better in a biology forum I suspect. I read or heard somewhere a few years back that its hard for your nervous system to tell the difference between very hot and very cold objects. Thats why it sometimes feels like you've been burned when you touch something very cold, and why you think hot water is cold when you first put your hand under it. Unfortunately I don't know any of the details, hence a move to a biology forum might be best.

Google "the cold/hot grille illusion." It is an interesting tactile hallucination. I think there's a wikipedia on it.

Yes, it has something to do with the fact that both nerves are stimulated, but one of them travels slightly faster and reaches the brain milliseconds sooner.

1. Why does hot water sometimes feel cold?

Hot water can feel cold because of a phenomenon known as paradoxical cold. This is when the skin is exposed to a stimulus, in this case hot water, that is significantly warmer than the surrounding air temperature. This can cause the body to perceive the sensation as cold instead of hot.

2. Does the temperature of the water affect how it feels on the skin?

Yes, the temperature of the water can greatly affect how it feels on the skin. For example, if the water is just slightly warmer than the body temperature, it can feel cold due to the paradoxical cold sensation. On the other hand, if the water is significantly warmer than the body temperature, it will feel hot.

3. Is it possible for hot water to feel cold even when the air temperature is also warm?

Yes, it is possible for hot water to feel cold even when the air temperature is warm. This is because the temperature of the water and the air are two separate stimuli that the body perceives differently. The body may interpret the hot water as cold due to the difference in temperature between the two stimuli.

4. Does this phenomenon only occur with hot water, or can it happen with other temperatures as well?

Paradoxical cold can occur with other temperatures as well, not just hot water. For example, if the skin is exposed to a cold stimulus, such as ice, in a warm environment, it can feel hot due to the same paradoxical sensation.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent hot water from feeling cold?

There are a few possible ways to prevent hot water from feeling cold. One option is to gradually adjust the water temperature before exposing your skin to it. This can help the body adjust to the temperature change and prevent the paradoxical cold sensation. Another option is to use a barrier, such as a cloth, between your skin and the hot water to help regulate the temperature. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and focusing on the actual temperature of the water rather than the sensation it creates can help prevent the paradoxical cold effect.