Are Education Majors Really Bad at Math? Questions Explored

• Programs
  • Thread starter eastside00_99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, there is a discussion about whether mathematics education majors are less skilled in math compared to mathematics majors. Some questions are raised about the necessity of having an education degree for teaching and the interest of schools in hiring people with strong math skills. It is mentioned that being good at math does not necessarily mean one can effectively teach it. The low pay and lack of interest may be reasons why talented individuals do not pursue teaching high school. However, it is argued that knowing math is not the most important aspect of teaching and managing a class is more crucial. Personal reasons for not pursuing a career in teaching are also mentioned.
eastside00_99
This may be an very bad over generalization. But, has anyone noticed that say a mathematics education major is pretty bad at math compared to the typical mathematics major. I have few questions about this

(1) If the above is true, what is the necessity of having a education degree or a teachers certification?

(2) Shouldn't schools be interested in getting people who know a lot of mathematics over people who know some stuff about education?

(3) Why don't you see a lot of really talented people wanting to teach high school?

Physics news on Phys.org
1)I'm not sure if it is true.
2)No matter how smart you are, it doesn't mean you have the ability to convey the ideas you are trying to teach efficiently. So I rather have a person who knows the stuff okay, but can teach me what I need to know, over a guy who knows the stuff VERY well, but couldn't teach me anything.
3)low pay? Lack of interest?

Taking less upper level math courses does not imply that person is bad at math. Mathematics education majors take a diverse selection of math courses and courses like number theory, euclidean geometry, and the history of math, which is more than enough information to completely understand high school mathematics. They take education courses to help them become better teachers.

YES! I have found that most math ed majors are terrible at upper level math. Some were so bad that I wondered how they could justify their major. I have, though, met a few math ed majors that were pretty good at math, but most seem to eventually change their major to math (I can think of at least 4, myself included).

However, knowing math is almost irrelevant to teaching high school mathematics. The thing you need to know is how to manage a class; knowing an epsilon-delta proof is not going to help you deal with some 14 year old brat that keeps interrupting class.

I decided that I did not want to be a teacher because I do not like the schedule (working 60+ hours a week for a semester, getting a break, working 60 hours a week, then summer off; I would prefer to work a constant 40 hours a week). Also, I don't think I want to deal with all the administrative BS and the annoying kids.

What is the purpose of the study "Are Education Majors Really Bad at Math? Questions Explored"?

The purpose of this study is to explore the common belief that education majors are not proficient in math and to determine if there is any truth to this stereotype.

How was the study conducted?

The study used a combination of surveys, interviews, and data analysis to gather information from both education majors and math experts. The surveys and interviews were designed to gather the participants' attitudes, beliefs, and experiences with math, while the data analysis focused on comparing the math skills of education majors to those of other majors.

What were the main findings of the study?

The study found that education majors did not perform significantly worse in math than students from other majors. In fact, education majors were found to have similar math skills as students in fields such as business and social sciences.

What factors contribute to the stereotype that education majors are bad at math?

There are several factors that may contribute to this stereotype, including the fact that education majors may not have as much exposure to advanced math courses as students in other majors. Additionally, the emphasis on teaching methods and pedagogy in education courses may lead to less focus on math skills.

What are the implications of this study?

This study challenges the stereotype that education majors are bad at math and highlights the need for more research and support for math education in teacher training programs. It also emphasizes the importance of addressing biases and stereotypes in education and promoting a growth mindset towards math proficiency for all students.