How to teach Isaac Newton the standard model and cosmology

In summary: Newton would stop me and say "I know... its divine." Then I would proceed to explain to him that the universe is actually a complex field that is constantly being repaired and maintained by divine force. In summary, Marcus is given a choice to go back in time and meet famous scientist Isaac Newton. Marcus thinks the best person to talk to Newton would be Carlo Rovelli, who has studied how great physicists thought and came to their discoveries. Marcus also thinks it would be dangerous to approach Newton in person, but Carlo would cleverly take lodging in London and write letters to Newton pretending to be a visitor from Russia who doesn't know Latin and has to correspond in his outlandish version of English. After 20 letters are exchanged, Carlo would bundle
giann_tee
You are given a chance to fly back in time with no worry over changing history in bad ways. Knock knock and you enter a college looking for famous Isaac Newton, age 45, in person.

He's a real fun in every way - mechanics, theory of gravity, celestial mechanics, calculus, the queen. Also he believes he is one of the chosen people to decode the bible code, to unravel how divine force is occasionally repairing and maintaining the solar system, etc.

What I wonder is this. Given all the power you have attained in the 21st century what would you choose, in what order more precisely to explain to mr Newton about what universe really is? Ultimately what is interesting to say anyways?

Science news on Phys.org
giann_tee said:
You are given a chance to fly back in time with no worry over changing history in bad ways. Knock knock and you enter a college looking for famous Isaac Newton, age 45, in person.

I would give my ticket to Carlo Rovelli and ask him to go instead of me. He has studied how great physicists thought and came to their discoveries. I think he could talk best to Newton (or to Galileo---he speaks both English and Italian) and his imagination is good enough that he could probably say right now how he would carry on the conversation.

It would be very dangerous to approach Newton in person, because he was a superstitious man who believed in angels and devils and stuff---perhaps he suffered from some mental problems. He might easily call the police if Carlo actually came to visit in person, or want to have him burned at the stake.

But Carlo would cleverly take lodging in London, in a nice part of town with coffeehouses and foreigners and amusing people. And from his address in London he would WRITE LETTERS to Newton, claiming to be a visitor from Russia who did not know Latin and had necessarily to correspond in his outlandish version of English that he learned from his French governess.

They would have a correspondence in English and it would be interesting to read.
After about 20 letters had been exchanged Carlo would bundle up the letters from Newton, and copies of his own, and run for the time machine.

The mission would be universally hailed as a great success.

Marcus, you must burn your DVD of the Da Vinci Code now, and promise not to buy another.

Likes Intraverno
turbo-1 said:
Marcus, you must burn your DVD of the Da Vinci Code now, and promise not to buy another.
LOL
:biggrin:

marcus said:
I would give my ticket to Carlo Rovelli and ask him to go instead of me. He has studied how great physicists thought and came to their discoveries. I think he could talk best to Newton (or to Galileo---he speaks both English and Italian) and his imagination is good enough that he could probably say right now how he would carry on the conversation.

It would be very dangerous to approach Newton in person, because he was a superstitious man who believed in angels and devils and stuff---perhaps he suffered from some mental problems. He might easily call the police if Carlo actually came to visit in person, or want to have him burned at the stake.

But Carlo would cleverly take lodging in London, in a nice part of town with coffeehouses and foreigners and amusing people. And from his address in London he would WRITE LETTERS to Newton, claiming to be a visitor from Russia who did not know Latin and had necessarily to correspond in his outlandish version of English that he learned from his French governess.

They would have a correspondence in English and it would be interesting to read.
After about 20 letters had been exchanged Carlo would bundle up the letters from Newton, and copies of his own, and run for the time machine.

The mission would be universally hailed as a great success.

How about send Ed Witten instead. They would be a match as both are/were the greatest in their time. In fact Witten has been compared to Newton before.

Tell him that we've completely unlocked the mysteries surrounding alchemy.

Newton after discovering calculus, and his laws of mechanics delved deeply into mysticism, and tried to crack codes in the bible for the rest of his life. He actually might have become very paranoid. You would actually have to make contact prior his serious bible studies. I would just mail him a laser pointer and tell him where I live. He would find me.

I must immediately accept the alchemical proposal since, it is a definitive way to do the social talk.

200 years older Einstein is still completely believable. I could try some "mind experiments" with Newton. He knows about the speed of light, he could know the full math of gravitational potential (field).

If I would start with "universe as we know it is made through some simple rules and applied natural constants..." I get a little lost.

I completely forgot about universe expansion and Hubble' law! Also the nucleosynthesis and spiral galaxies (in reverse order).

You know this is amazing that we should be able to bring back 20th century to 18th century and present it somehow. Faith ought not be a problem.

turbo-1 said:
Just as marcus said - :rofl:

Or what about going back in time and teaching Aristotle or Democritus about QM. Oh - wait - they were before calculus.

Wouldn't it be easier to bring those guys forward in time and do a colloquium with all the various contemporary physicists.

Might as well invite Einstein, Galileo, Archimedes, . . . .

I'd love to read Newton's blog. We could also create one for Hooke, and enjoy them take each other apart.

As much as I read - a couple of books plus tv, live talks - it seems that Hooke figured it all out - first in a sense. Later it seems that though gains certain idealism and aspiration.

I feel that empowered with 21st century I'd be glad to entertain Newton, but I think about simplifying what is today officially the "model".

All around there are theories trying to convince us anything - but why. Here's Newton and here is you: knock yourself out. :-)

giann_tee said:

He's a real fun in every way - mechanics, theory of gravity, celestial mechanics, calculus, the queen. Also he believes he is one of the chosen people to decode the bible code, to unravel how divine force is occasionally repairing and maintaining the solar system, etc.

What I wonder is this. Given all the power you have attained in the 21st century what would you choose, in what order more precisely to explain to mr Newton about what universe really is? Ultimately what is interesting to say anyways?

http://imgwe.com/accessbee/27/smile.gif [Broken] Thanks your words are great and it briefly discribe some of Isaac Newton as a astonishing human. Thanks.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to ask him about his way of life when he was a boy, and how do things look from his view!

1. How can I make Isaac Newton understand the standard model and cosmology?

To teach Isaac Newton the standard model and cosmology, it is important to start with the basics and build upon them gradually. Begin by explaining the key concepts of the standard model, such as elementary particles and their interactions. Then, introduce the main principles of cosmology, such as the Big Bang theory and the expanding universe. Use visual aids and analogies to help Newton grasp these complex concepts.

2. What are the most important theories and equations that Isaac Newton should know?

Some of the most important theories and equations that Isaac Newton should know include Newton's laws of motion, the law of universal gravitation, and Einstein's theory of relativity. These theories form the basis of the standard model and cosmology, and understanding them is crucial for Newton to comprehend these concepts.

3. How can I make the teaching process engaging for Isaac Newton?

To make the teaching process engaging for Isaac Newton, it is important to use interactive and hands-on activities. For example, you can use simulations or experiments to demonstrate the principles of the standard model and cosmology. You can also encourage Newton to ask questions and participate in discussions to make the learning experience more interactive.

4. What are some common misconceptions that I should address while teaching Isaac Newton?

Some common misconceptions about the standard model and cosmology include the belief that the universe is infinite and that Newton's laws of motion are applicable to all scales of the universe. It is important to address these misconceptions and explain the current scientific understanding of these concepts to Newton.

5. How can I assess if Isaac Newton has understood the standard model and cosmology?

To assess if Isaac Newton has understood the standard model and cosmology, you can ask him to explain the concepts in his own words or solve practice problems related to these topics. You can also conduct quizzes or exams to test his understanding. Additionally, observing his engagement and participation during the teaching process can also give an indication of his understanding.