Superposition and electronic circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the voltage across BD in a given circuit. The solution involves shorting one source, finding the source current and voltage drop across a resistor, and using KVL to find the desired voltage. It is emphasized to remember to short current sources and open voltage sources. A complete drawing and work is requested for further assistance.
Kobayashi

Homework Statement

Can someone please explain to me how to find the voltage across BD in the attached circuit. I can't do these examples. Please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I shorted one source I get the source current as 10.08mA and a voltage drop across the 200 ohm resistor of 2.02V.

Attachments

• Superposition.jpg
    Superposition.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your drawing is missing the current source? Be that as it may, REMEMBER: SHORT current sources and OPEN voltages sources. Do that, give us a complete drawing and show your work and we can help you if needed.

Ok, assuming that the circuit is correct, V_BD= V acrosss 300ohms + 3.71V. You need to find that voltage by using KVL.

Hope that helps.

1. What is superposition in electronic circuits?

Superposition is a principle in electronic circuits that states that the response of a circuit to multiple inputs is equal to the sum of the responses of the circuit to each individual input.

2. How does superposition affect the analysis of electronic circuits?

Superposition allows us to break down a complex circuit into simpler parts and analyze each part separately. This makes it easier to understand and troubleshoot complex circuits.

3. Can superposition be applied to all types of electronic circuits?

Yes, superposition can be applied to linear circuits, which are circuits where the output is directly proportional to the input. Non-linear circuits, on the other hand, do not follow the principle of superposition.

4. What is the importance of superposition in circuit design?

Superposition is important in circuit design because it allows us to predict the behavior of a circuit and make changes or improvements based on the analysis of individual components. It also helps in reducing the complexity of circuit design.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of superposition in electronic circuits?

Yes, superposition cannot be applied to circuits with dependent sources and circuits with non-linear elements. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit components do not interact with each other, which may not always be the case in real-life circuits.