How fast does the universe expand and what are the theories behind it?

In summary: Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.In summary, the conversation touches upon the topic of the speed of space expansion and how it relates to the expansion of the universe. The rate of expansion is currently measured to be 72 km/sec/Megaparsec, but it is unclear if this can be used to determine the speed of expansion. It is also mentioned that the speed of expansion is increasing. The concept of an "edge" to the universe is discussed, with the conclusion that the universe is unbounded. The conversation also delves into the question of whether the expansion of space affects the movement of materials within it. Finally, the Pioneer anomaly is mentioned, with the idea that it could potentially be attributed to the expansion of the
Tachyonie
Just a fast question, Ill be glad if you answer it.
I was wondering how fast does the space expand, but I wasn't able to find answer anywhere around the internet, the only thing I was able to get is the rate of expansion - 72 km/sec/Megaparsec, but I don't know if I can derive the speed of expansion from that. Also I obtained information that the speed of expansion is increasing.

So how fast does the universe expand? Are there any good theories?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tachyonie said:
Just a fast question, Ill be glad if you answer it.
I was wondering how fast does the space expand, but I wasn't able to find answer anywhere around the internet, the only thing I was able to get is the rate of expansion - 72 km/sec/Megaparsec, but I don't know if I can derive the speed of expansion from that. Also I obtained information that the speed of expansion is increasing.

So how fast does the universe expand? Are there any good theories?

Consider three galaxies, A, B, and C.

The centers of A, B, and C are aligned along a common axis.

A is 1 Megaparsec from B and 2 Megaparsecs from C. B is 1 Megaparsec from C.

Therefore:

A recedes from B at 72 km/sec, A recedes from C at 144 km/second, and B recedes from C at 72 km/sec.

kmarinas86 said:
Consider three galaxies, A, B, and C.

The centers of A, B, and C are aligned along a common axis.

A is 1 Megaparsec from B and 2 Megaparsecs from C. B is 1 Megaparsec from C.

Therefore:

A recedes from B at 72 km/sec, A recedes from C at 144 km/second, and B recedes from C at 72 km/sec.

Yes thanks, I got that. But I was interested if there are any "boundaries" to spacetime.
Imagine spacetime - universe as a giant bubble. Since the big bang the bubble was getting bigger and bigger and the expansion kept accelerating. What would be the speed at which the edge of the *bubble* is expanding?
Or is it irrelevant and do I picture the space wrong? Is it all absolutely relative on where am I looking from?

Tachyonie said:
What would be the speed at which the edge of the *bubble* is expanding?
Or is it irrelevant and do I picture the space wrong?
There is no edge. The universe is, as far as we know, unbounded.

Have you heard of the expanding balloon analogy?

Speed of Space Expansion And "Star Stuff"

Speed of space expansion and star stuff.

The speed of space expansion is not just the space expanding (if space CAN expand, at all)
but is it not also about all the materials within it traveling outward from the center?

And isn't that what Tachyonie was referring to? Kind regards... th' humbled1

There is no center, so no, it's just space expanding, increasing the distance between all objects above a certain scale.

russ_watters said:
There is no center, so no, it's just space expanding, increasing the distance between all objects above a certain scale.

I've been wondering about that scale effect. Is the scale certain enough to be given a measurement? Is there an upper and lower bound? Is the change locally just too small to be measured?

starkind said:
I've been wondering about that scale effect. Is the scale certain enough to be given a measurement? Is there an upper and lower bound? Is the change locally just too small to be measured?

See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206604", particularly posts #11 and #15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I think I see that the answer to my question is that changes at great distance over human timescales are too small to be measured by current spectographic technology. Changes at smaller distances will be even less, so even further beyond our ability to measure by spectrographic methods.

With a spectrograph, we are looking at variations in the wavelength of light...and these wavelengths are very short, making it very hard to see any differences. One might expect then to be able to see larger, more locally evident changes in events with much longer wavelengths. I am speculating that the Pioneer anomalie could be such an event. the wavelength is established by the distance traveled...so we are able to look at changes in wavelengths on the order of the diameter of the solar system. This is still not extremely large in cosmological terms, but is many many orders of magnitude larger than a wavelength of light in a spectrogram.

I wish I could calculate a rate of expansion from the Pioneer data, and compare it to the limits provided by the spectroscopic data. Is the Pioneer data in a range that might be considered as an effect of universal expansion?

starkind said:
I wish I could calculate a rate of expansion from the Pioneer data, and compare it to the limits provided by the spectroscopic data. Is the Pioneer data in a range that might be considered as an effect of universal expansion?

I know next to nothing about the Pioneer data. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1574979&postcount=23" is a post about it, and I'm sure other posts/threads about the Pioneer stuff exist here at Physics Forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
starkind said:

The global expansion of the Universe plays no role on scales such as the solar system, not because the distance is small but because there is no expansion. The global expansion Hubble law is an approximation based on the Universe being the same everywhere (homogeneous) so breaks down on scales where this is not the case (such as galaxies).

In any case the Pioneer anomaly is an unexpected small acceleration towards the Sun, whereas if the Hubble law was valid in solar system scales you would expected it to be an acceleration away.

Wallace said:
The global expansion of the Universe plays no role on scales such as the solar system, not because the distance is small but because there is no expansion.
I thought it was simply because the expansion is much weaker than gravity and so is easily overwhelmed by all interactions except those especially weak forces across intergalactic distances.

DaveC426913 said:
I thought it was simply because the expansion is much weaker than gravity and so is easily overwhelmed by all interactions except those especially weak forces across intergalactic distances.

You can't compare 'the expansion of space' or even just 'the expansion' with gravity since one is a force and the other is not! If anything, gravity causes the expansion of space, since the things we ascribe to 'the expansion of space' are a result of the solution of the GR equations in an expanding Universe.

The Universe expands because it did so in the past and this produces an effect we dub the expansion of space. If you think about it the other way around (space expands causing things to move apart) misconception will greet you at every turn.

Wallace said:
You can't compare 'the expansion of space' or even just 'the expansion' with gravity since one is a force and the other is not! If anything, gravity causes the expansion of space, since the things we ascribe to 'the expansion of space' are a result of the solution of the GR equations in an expanding Universe.
So are you saying that gravity is a force that you cannot compare with the expansion of space because gravity causes it? And that makes total sense to you?

The solution of the GR equations? Which solution are you referring to?

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
So are you saying that gravity is a force that you cannot compare with the expansion of space because gravity causes it? And that makes total sense to you?

The 'expansion of space' is merely a property of particular co-ordinate system. So yes, I do think comparing the effects of a force to the effects of a co-ordinate system is something that you cannot do. Clearly this makes no sense.

MeJennifer said:
The solution of the GR equations? Which solution are you referring to?

The FRW metric and the resultant Friedman equations. The point is that 'the expansion of space' is merely a description of the the FRW solution in co-moving co-ordinates, not a 'real' physical effect. Cosmologists of course know this and use the term expansion of space very loosely, but it gets misinterpreted very often as having some great significance.

Wallace said:
The 'expansion of space' is merely a property of particular co-ordinate system.
Depends what you mean by coordinate system here, in the FRW models it is caused because a scaling factor is introduced.

One would think that people get a hint when they find out that objects recess faster than the speed of light in such models, unfortunately they don't.

Not surprising when one takes the liberty of morphing a 4 dimensional curved spacetime into a curved 3 dimensional space with linear time.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Depends what you mean by coordinate system here, in the FRW models it is caused because a scaling factor is introduced.

One would think that people get a hint when they find out that objects recess faster than the speed of light in such models, unfortunately they don't.

Not surprising when one takes the liberty of morphing a 4 dimensional curved spacetime into a curved 3 dimensional space with linear time.

Right, so in co-moving co-ordinates using the FRW time variable dR/dt can increase without bound, indicating apparent super luminal recession. Again this cause a great deal of concern at a pop sci level but cosmologists know the difference between co-ordinates and physics.

1. What is the speed of space expansion?

The speed of space expansion refers to the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as kilometers per second or megaparsecs per year.

2. How is the speed of space expansion determined?

The speed of space expansion is determined through various methods, such as measuring the redshift of distant galaxies or observing the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements can then be used to calculate the Hubble constant, which represents the current rate of expansion.

3. Has the speed of space expansion always been constant?

No, the speed of space expansion has not always been constant. In fact, scientists have observed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, meaning that the speed is increasing over time. This phenomenon is attributed to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion to speed up.

4. Does the speed of space expansion affect the movement of objects within the universe?

Yes, the speed of space expansion can have an impact on the movement of objects within the universe. The expansion of space can cause galaxies and other structures to move away from each other, and the rate at which this occurs can affect the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

5. How does the speed of space expansion relate to the age of the universe?

The speed of space expansion is closely related to the age of the universe. By measuring the current rate of expansion and knowing the distance to objects in the universe, scientists can estimate the age of the universe. This is known as the Hubble time and is currently estimated to be around 13.8 billion years.