Boiling Point Elevation: Exploring the Discrepancy

• Thread starter jimRH9
  • Start date
In summary, the boiling point elevation is higher than the calculated value, which is strange because dissociation would cause it to decrease. Dissociation taken into account?
jimRH9
Hullo. I'm doing a lab report on boiling point elevation, and we have to answer the question: "the boiling point elevation is higher than the calculated value, Why?". as a question on the side.

In the experiment, the solution is 30g/l NaCl in water.
The equation used to calculate the calculated value is Boiling point elevation = Molal elevation const. x Molality.
Molal elevation const = 0.52

I'm looking for some kind of molecular description, I thought it might be to do with breaking ligand bonds between the water and the salt during evapouration, but dissolving NaCl is endothermic (according to wikipedia~~~), plus i don't think it would have that effect until you boil it dry.

I know the equation assumes it's an ideal solution, and it's not cos NaCl is ionic, what can't explain is why the boiling point elevation would be more than the calculated value, rather than just different from it...

any help greatly apprecaited, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wht happens to the vapour pressure when NaCl is added to water?Does it increase or decrease?Then remember tht the definition of the normal boiling point is where the vapour pressure equals 1 atm.
Btw this is the wrong place to ask such questions...this is a chemistry question

Dissociation taken into account?

Boiling point elevation is taught at chemistry lessons, but I have problems classifying it as a just a chemistry subject.

Borek said:
Dissociation taken into account?

Boiling point elevation is taught at chemistry lessons, but I have problems classifying it as a just a chemistry subject.

Borek
--
Sorry, i posted it in a rush. Can I move it myself, Or does a moderator have to do it?

Don't worry, if one of Mentors will decide to, they'll move the thread.

Have you taken dissociation into account?

Borek said:
Don't worry, if one of Mentors will decide to, they'll move the thread.

Have you taken dissociation into account?

I'm not really sure what you mean, I know what dissociation is I know the salt forms Na+ and Cl- in water, but there's nothing about that in the equation...

The equation of osmotic pressure is equal to iMRT...i is the vant hoff factor i.e. the number of particles it dissociates into.

Sorry to bump my own thread, but this report has to be in for 2 tommorow, and I've got lectures all day, so it is a matter of some urgency.

jimRH9 said:
what i can't explain is why the boiling point elevation would be more than the calculated value, rather than just different from it...
QUOTE]

I don't know if I really made it clear, but this is the question i was asking.

Everything you need was already listed in terminator88 and my posts.

k it seeems u r not reading wht I have said...

ach, It doesn't matter, I handed in the report today anyway. Thanks anyway.

1. What is boiling point elevation?

Boiling point elevation is the phenomenon where the boiling point of a liquid is raised when a solute is added to it.

2. How does boiling point elevation occur?

Boiling point elevation occurs due to the presence of a solute, which disrupts the normal boiling process by lowering the vapor pressure of the liquid. This means that the liquid must reach a higher temperature before it can boil.

3. What is the significance of boiling point elevation?

Boiling point elevation is important in various industries, such as in cooking, where adding salt to water can increase the boiling point and thus cook food faster. It is also used in chemical processes, where precise control of boiling points is necessary.

4. What factors affect boiling point elevation?

The boiling point elevation of a solution is affected by the concentration of the solute, the type of solute, and the properties of the solvent. Higher concentrations of solutes and certain types of solutes can cause a greater boiling point elevation.

5. How is boiling point elevation calculated?

The boiling point elevation can be calculated using the equation ΔTb = Kb * m * i. ΔTb represents the change in boiling point, Kb is the molal boiling point constant, m is the molality of the solution, and i is the van't Hoff factor, which takes into account the number of ions present in the solute.