A cylinder of electric field varying in time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite cylinder with an electric field and a rectangular wire outside the cylinder. The individual tries to solve the problem using Maxwell's fourth equation but realizes it is impossible since the equation is only valid inside the cylinder. They then seek help and are advised to use Ampere's law with the displacement current to get the magnetic field outside the cylinder. The individual then asks for clarification on Ampere's law and ultimately understands that it is similar to a wire and the path integral of B is easy to evaluate since it is always tangential.
alle.fabbri
Hi, I have this problem:
In empty space there is an infinite cylinder, with its axis parallel to z axis and radius a, filled with an eletric field of equation
[tex]\vec{E}(t) = E_0 e^{\beta t} \hat{z}[/tex]
Now I put a rectangular wire on the plane yz out of the cylinder of side l and b (l lies on the y axis) and the question is: which is the current on the wire?

I try to attack the problem in the straightforward way. So I try to solve Maxwell's fourth equation
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} = \frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}[/tex]
and initially I thought that I had to compute the flux through the wire of the varying magnetic field I get...but I realize that this is impossible because this equation is only valid inside the cylinder, where I have a varying electric field, and not outside where there is only empty space!

Could anyone help...please?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ampere's law (with the displacement current) to get B(t) outside the cylinder.

What do you mean with Amperè's Law?? Maybe the fourth Maxwell's Equation?? This one?
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{J} + \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]
And if I do?? The displacement current is zero outside the cylinder...

Using Stoke's theorem, you can derive Ampere's law:
[tex]\oint{\bf dr}\cdot{\bf B}=\frac{1}{c^2}\int{\bf dS}\cdot\partial_t{\bf E}[/tex].

Ok...I get what you mean. So I choose a cylinder of radius r>a and height z, evaluate the flux of [tex]\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex] and thanks to Ampere's Law this is equal to the path integral of B over a circle of radius r in the at height z parallel to xy plane. May I say that B is always tangential so the path integral is easy to evaluate?? If yes why?? I thought in analogy with the magnetic field generated by a wire...

Thank you

Ciao!

It is just like a wire, but it doesn't matter.
For the loop you have only B tangential enters the flux.

1. What is a cylinder of electric field varying in time?

A cylinder of electric field varying in time refers to a three-dimensional region in space where the electric field strength changes over time. The electric field is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the force acting on a charged particle in an electric field.

2. How does the electric field vary in time within a cylinder?

The electric field within a cylinder can vary in time due to changes in the charge distribution or the motion of charges within the cylinder. This can be caused by external factors such as an alternating current or changes in the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of studying a cylinder of electric field varying in time?

Studying a cylinder of electric field varying in time can provide insights into the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles. This can have practical applications in areas such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy generation.

4. How is a cylinder of electric field varying in time different from a static electric field?

A static electric field remains constant in time, while a cylinder of electric field varying in time changes over time. This can result in different effects on charged particles and require different mathematical models for analysis.

5. What are some examples of real-world phenomena that involve a cylinder of electric field varying in time?

Some examples of real-world phenomena involving a cylinder of electric field varying in time include the transmission of radio waves, the operation of electric motors, and the charging and discharging of batteries. These all involve changes in the electric field over time within a confined space.