What's with all these Halliday/Resnick books?

• Thread starter adartsesirhc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, Halliday and Resnick wrote the original Physics book in the 1960s, with additional authors coming on board over the years. The latest edition, Fundamentals of Physics, is published by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker and has been dumbed down a bit with different editions being released each year. There are also enhanced editions and "modern topics" editions.
adartsesirhc
Seriously, how come there's a ton different books by Halliday or Resnick?

I've heard of:
Physics, by Resnick
Physics, by Halliday
Physics, by Resnick and Halliday
Physics, by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane
Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday and Resnick
Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker

Are they different editions/versions of the same book? I have the 7th edition of the last book.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's also the new versions split into parts with each volume just containing a few chapters.
It seems to be a feature of US universities to require a particular book for a course and for the publishers to change editions each year ( with different problems and page numbering) to force you to buy the new edition.
One friend lectures a course where they even have to buy an electronic remote control device to answer multiple choice questions for a particular book!

Earlier editions of Physics were written by just David Halliday and Robert Resnick, but later editions had the additional authors and (I believe by the sixth edition) the new name of Fundamentals of Physics. Some say that specific editions of the book are better than the others, but I don't believe that any of them are really bad compared to other texts.

First, there was Physics, by Halliday and Resnick, which first appeared in the 1960s, I think. It was too "heavy" for many schools, so H & R later produced a slimmed-down version, Fundamentals of Physics. I used it when I was a college freshman in 1971-72. I don't remember whether it was the first or second edition. It had an orange cover so we called it the "pumpkin book."

At some point (1990s?) Krane came on board for Physics, and Walker came on board for Fundamentals of Physics.

adartsesirhc said:
Seriously, how come there's a ton different books by Halliday or Resnick?

I've heard of:
Physics, by Resnick
Physics, by Halliday
Physics, by Resnick and Halliday
Physics, by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane
Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday and Resnick
Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker

Are they different editions/versions of the same book? I have the 7th edition of the last book.

Simply put, they get dumbed down a little by each edition, get more colorful, and include new authors. All are great books. Its just not very economic to get the latest edition when you can save a hundred or so getting an older one. And its easier on the eyes.

There are also enhanced editions and "modern topics" editions, even ones split into volumes which include new problems. All a marketing scheme I guess.

1. What is the Halliday/Resnick book series about?

The Halliday/Resnick book series is a collection of physics textbooks that cover introductory and advanced topics in physics. They are widely used in college and university courses, as well as by self-studying individuals.

2. Who are the authors of the Halliday/Resnick books?

The authors of the Halliday/Resnick books are David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. They are all respected physicists and educators who have collectively written numerous textbooks and published research papers in the field of physics.

3. Are the Halliday/Resnick books suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Halliday/Resnick books are designed to be accessible for beginners. They provide a solid foundation in the principles of physics and gradually build up to more advanced concepts. However, some prior knowledge of mathematics is recommended.

4. Do the Halliday/Resnick books cover all topics in physics?

The Halliday/Resnick books cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. However, they may not cover every single topic in detail and may not be suitable for specialized areas of physics.

5. Can the Halliday/Resnick books be used as reference materials?

Yes, the Halliday/Resnick books can serve as excellent reference materials for students and professionals alike. They provide clear explanations, examples, and practice problems that can be revisited when needed.