Halliday and Resnick - Boy sliding down ice mound

In summary: So at the point where the boy just barely stays on the ice mound, there is a force of 0 but the weight of the boy is still contributing to the centripetal force.
Farnak

Homework Statement

This is from Fundamentals of Physics 8th ed, by Halliday and Resnick:
A boy is initially seated on the top of a hemispherical ice mound of radius R = 13.8m. He begins to slide down the ice, with a negligible initial speed. Approximate the ice as being frictionless. At what height does the boy lose contact with the ice?

Homework Equations

This is classified under Conservation of Mechanical Energy
There's a picture of a semicircle and a boy sliding down the circumference of the semicircle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what conditions would make the boy go off the ice rather than stay on the ice. I thought it had to do with centripetal forces at first (cause he's going in a circle ... for a bit) but I couldn't make that idea work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Farnak said:
I thought it had to do with centripetal forces at first (cause he's going in a circle ... for a bit) but I couldn't make that idea work.
Try it again--that's the right track. Apply Newton's 2nd law. And conservation of energy.

So far what I did was

PEtop= KE bottom
mgh=.5mv^2
gh=.5v^2
(9.81)h=(0.5)v^2

then at the point where the boy just barely stays on the ice mound, I used the equation

Fn= Fw-Fc, which would be 0 at that point
0=mg-(mv^2/r)
mg=(mv^2/r)
g=v^2/r
gr=v^2
(9.81)(13.8)=v^2
v^2= 135.378 m/s

Plug that v^2 back into the initial equation:

(9.81)h= (0.5)(135.378)
h= 6.9m

Does that look right?

Likes Israt afroz
jlee888 said:
then at the point where the boy just barely stays on the ice mound, I used the equation

Fn= Fw-Fc, which would be 0 at that point
It's true that the normal force will be zero at that point, but only a component of the weight contributes to the centripetal force. Not the full mg, which acts downward. (Find the radial component.)

1. What is "Halliday and Resnick - Boy sliding down ice mound"?

"Halliday and Resnick - Boy sliding down ice mound" is a scenario commonly used in physics to illustrate the principles of friction and motion. It involves a boy sliding down a frictionless, icy mound.

2. Why is this scenario used in physics?

This scenario is used in physics because it allows for a simple and practical demonstration of the concepts of friction and motion. It also helps students to understand the application of these principles in real-world situations.

3. What factors affect the boy's speed as he slides down the ice mound?

The boy's speed is affected by the angle of the mound, the mass of the boy, and the force of gravity. The presence or absence of friction also plays a significant role in determining the boy's speed.

4. How does the boy's speed change as he slides down the ice mound?

As the boy slides down the ice mound, his speed increases due to the force of gravity. However, if friction is present, it will act in the opposite direction and slow down the boy's speed. Once the boy reaches the bottom of the mound, his speed will remain constant as long as there are no external factors affecting it.

5. What can we learn from "Halliday and Resnick - Boy sliding down ice mound"?

This scenario helps us understand the relationship between friction, motion, and gravity. It also teaches us the importance of considering external factors when analyzing the motion of an object. Additionally, it demonstrates the practical applications of physics in everyday situations.