Induced current through a resistor - with variable resistor and two coils

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of induced current in a system with two solenoids that are coaxial and close to each other. The resistance of a variable resistor in the left-hand solenoid is being increased at a constant rate, causing the induced current through the resistor R to decrease. Using Lenz's Law, it is determined that the induced current in the right-hand solenoid will flow from B to A in order to oppose the decreasing magnetic field. The conversation also includes a discussion on the direction of current and magnetic field in the coils, as well as the role of the variable resistor in the system.
jcvince17

Homework Statement

The two solenoids in the figure are coaxial and fairly close to each other.
While the resistance of the variable resistor in the left-hand solenoid is increased at a constant rate, the induced current through the resistor R will

A - flow from a to b.
B - flow from b to a.
C - be zero because the rate is constant.

Homework Equations

yg_21_36.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I recall something about Lenz Law stating if the current is constant there will be no induced emf, so C is not correct.

If the current is increasing the emf is opposite to I. If the current is decreasing the emf is in same direction as I.

I cannot find anything in my book about this variable rersistor and am having a hard time with this right hand rule for induced current.

If someone can please help me derive at this answer I will greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by thinking about what happens to the current (and therefore the magnetic field) in the coil on the left.

The current will flow from left to right correct? and magnetic field into the page?

this new right hand rule has me off. I am to place my thumb in direction of B and curl my fingers into the induced I? therefore the current on coil 1 will flow in a clockwise direction?

jcvince17 said:
The current will flow from left to right correct? and magnetic field into the page?

Correct on the current. As for the magnetic field: look at how the current is flowing through the coil. The magnetic field will be either to the left or right, not into/out of the page.

current to the right and magnetic field going to the left. right?

if this is true (what i posted above here) then would the current in coil loop two flow from b to a?

jcvince17 said:
current to the right and magnetic field going to the left. right?

Yes.

... would the current in coil loop two flow from b to a?

You've made a big jump without explaining any intermediate steps.

How does B change, given what Rvar is doing? I.e., in what direction is the change in B? (left or right?).

Once you figure that out, you can use Lenz's Law to figure out the direction of the induced current for the right-hand coil and resistor.

honestly i do not know. i was going on the flow of the current in coil (left) and assuming it went from a to b.

i do not know anything about the Rvar. What does it do?

i am not 100% sure how the current in one and two flows to the right. i just looked at the coils and saw its direction, plus the positive side of the battery. I can tell the current should flow in the same direction on each coil.

how does the Rvar have anything to do with coil 2? coil one is creating an induced current on coil 2 but that should be created regardless of the Rvar right? The Rvar should/could not create a negative current; therefore changing the currents direction, so i think the Rvar should not have much of an impact on coil 2 for these reasons?
The only thing I can see the Rvar is doing is changing the current in coil 1.

help?

edit - thinking about Lenz's Law - it tries to keep the magnetic field constant = no change. in order for that to happen we need a B on coil 2 in the right direction. for that to happen we need a current to the right. which would give me flow from b to a.

i still do not know anything about Rvar

Last edited:
this is due by noon today. please.

From the original post:

jcvince17 said:
... the resistance of the variable resistor in the left-hand solenoid is increased at a constant rate ...

if resistance is increased then the current (I) is decreased correct? I= V/R

if the current is decreased in coil 1 then the B of coil 2 is decreased as well right? decreasing B filed to the left.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're still trying to work this one out, but:

jcvince17 said:
if resistance is increased then the current (I) is decreased correct? I= V/R

Yes.

if the current is decreased in coil 1 then the B of coil 2 is decreased as well right? decreasing B filed to the left.

Yes, B (which points to the left) of coil 2 decreases.

So the direction of dB/dt is _____ ?

Or, asked another way ... suppose for example B changes from -3 Tesla (i.e., 3 Tesla, to the left) to -2 Tesla. The change in B is ____ Tesla, towards the _____ (right/left)?

Redbelly98 said:
Not sure if you're still trying to work this one out, but:

Yes.

Yes, B (which points to the left) of coil 2 decreases.

So the direction of dB/dt is _LEFT____ ?

Or, asked another way ... suppose for example B changes from -3 Tesla (i.e., 3 Tesla, to the left) to -2 Tesla. The change in B is _1___ Tesla, towards the _right____ (right/left)?

i filled in above.

here is what was I got from class tonight.

we have a current to the right and B to the left on coil 1. with the variable resistor it is decreasing I which in turn is decreasing B. If we have to "oppose" a decreasing B then the B of coil 2 needs to be to the left as well. (to ADD to the decreasing B currently) in order for this to happen the I on coil 2 must be to the right, therefore flowing from B to A.

correct?

my reasoning sound correct also?

thanks for all your help! with me knowing the directions on coil 1 it made it easier to explain what I needed coil 2 to have

You're welcome, and yes the reasoning is correct.

Might be good to specify, when you say current flows from B to A, whether that is the resistor current or the coil current.

1. What is induced current through a resistor?

Induced current through a resistor refers to the flow of electric current in a resistor caused by a changing magnetic field. This occurs when the resistor is placed in a circuit with a variable resistor and two coils.

2. How does a variable resistor affect induced current through a resistor?

A variable resistor, also known as a rheostat, is used to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. When placed in a circuit with a resistor and two coils, it can alter the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the magnitude of the induced current in the resistor.

3. What is the role of the two coils in induced current through a resistor?

The two coils, also known as an inductor, generate a magnetic field when an electric current passes through them. This changing magnetic field is what induces the current in the resistor.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect induced current through a resistor?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the induced current in the resistor. A stronger magnetic field will induce a larger current in the resistor, while a weaker magnetic field will induce a smaller current.

5. What is the relationship between the rate of change of the magnetic field and induced current through a resistor?

The rate of change of the magnetic field also affects the induced current through a resistor. The faster the magnetic field changes, the stronger the induced current will be. This is why a sudden change in current or voltage can result in a surge of induced current through a resistor.