Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing

• News
  • Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: The bill that closes guantanamo and says we won't torture prisoners anymore.In summary, the bill is good but it doesn't mean that we won't torture people. Obama read the bill out loud, explained what it meant, and then signed it.
tribdog
I'm talking about the bill that closes guantanamo and says we won't torture prisoners anymore.
As far as the bill itself goes I think it looks better than it actually is. Yes Guantanamo should be closed and yes we shouldn't torture people, but where are the people at guantanamo going to be sent? Probably to countries where they will be tortured. the bill isn't the most important thing that happened though. Obama actually read the bill out loud, explained what it meant and then signed it. I know its a little early to start erasing the picture of Jesus on all the crucifixes and replacing it with a picture of Obama, but dammit I really like the guy. I wonder how many bills will be signed this same way because I love the idea. I'm so sick of lying scheming politicians. I supported Obama because i felt like I could trust him, today reinforced that feeling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it is certainly going to be problematic, but finding countries to accept them is not something that concerns me much. From today's paper, exactly the reason why we don't just want to dump these guys back onto the street (in whatever country):
A Saudi man who was released from Guantanamo after spending six years inside the U.S. prison camp has joined al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen and is now the terror group's No. 2 in the country, according to a purported Internet statement from al-Qaeda.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-01-23-gitmo-friday_N.htm

The Internet statement, which could not immediately be verified...

Does that not mean that all statements in/on that web page are also NOT verified?
Have they subsequently been verified?

russ_watters said:
Well it is certainly going to be problematic, but finding countries to accept them is not something that concerns me much. From today's paper, exactly the reason why we don't just want to dump these guys back onto the street (in whatever country):

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-01-23-gitmo-friday_N.htm

Not all of them should be released. The only requirement is some efficiency while adhering to human rights standards. Failing to do the latter puts a serious crimp in resolving the current situation.

That drops things into the cost-benefit analysis realm. It's not important that one former detainee went on to a high ranking position in al-Qaeda. It's important how many former detainees will go on to be American enemies and how significant will their actions be. That has to be balanced by how many new recruits can be obtained by capitalizing on the Guantanamo image and how significant their actions will be.

One former detainee planning a terrorist mission that would have been planned by someone else if the former detainee were absent has no impact at all.

Having ten former detainees carry out suicide missions, thereby increasing the number of missions from 10 to 20 is pretty significant. Is it more significant than increasing the number of missions from 90 to 100?

Acquiring 10 new recruits because of the Guantanamo image would have a similar impact to the former detainees (whatever that is).

1. What is "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" about?

"Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" is a statement that refers to the information or items that were obtained or received at a bill signing event that took place the day before. It could be a summary of the key points discussed, documents signed, or other important details.

2. Who said "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing"?

The person who said "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" is most likely someone who attended the bill signing event and is now sharing their experience or observations with others. It could be a politician, journalist, or any other individual present at the event.

3. Why is "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" important?

"Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" could be important because it provides insight into the details and outcomes of a significant event. It could also be important for those who were unable to attend the bill signing, as it allows them to stay informed about the latest developments and decisions.

4. Is "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" reliable information?

The reliability of "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" depends on the source of the statement. If it is coming from a reputable and trustworthy individual or news source, then it can be considered reliable. However, it is always best to fact-check and gather information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

5. Can "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" be used as evidence in a court case?

It is possible for "Here's what I got from yesterday's bill signing" to be used as evidence in a court case, depending on the circumstances and relevance of the information. However, it is always best to consult with a legal professional for guidance on using this statement as evidence.