Simple Mathematica Question (Solve Function)

In summary, the "Solve" function in Mathematica is a built-in function that finds exact solutions to a system of equations or inequalities. To use it, you provide a set of equations and the variables you want to solve for. It can handle complex numbers and can also find numeric solutions. If the function returns an empty set, it means there are no exact solutions.
Saladsamurai
Why won't it solve this function for F ? I am new to Mathematica, so I am sure I am messing something up here!

Code:
Solve[M*((5*P*L^3)/(48*H*J) - (5*F*L^3)/(384*H*J)) - F = 0, F]

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind! Logical operator not same as assignment op! ==

There could be several reasons why Mathematica is not able to solve this function for F. One possibility is that the function is not properly defined or there may be a syntax error in the input. Another reason could be that the function is too complex for Mathematica to solve analytically. In this case, you may need to use numerical methods or find alternative ways to solve the function. It is also possible that the function does not have a solution for F. As a scientist, it is important to carefully check and verify the inputs and assumptions made in the function to ensure accurate results. Additionally, seeking help from experienced Mathematica users or consulting documentation can also be helpful in resolving this issue.

What is the "Solve" function in Mathematica?

The "Solve" function in Mathematica is a built-in function that finds the exact solutions to a system of equations or inequalities. It is commonly used in algebraic and calculus problems.

How do I use the "Solve" function in Mathematica?

To use the "Solve" function, you need to provide it with a set of equations or inequalities, and the variables you want to solve for. For example, "Solve[{x+y=5, x-y=2}, {x,y}]" will find the values of x and y that satisfy both equations.

Can the "Solve" function handle complex numbers?

Yes, the "Solve" function can handle complex numbers. You can specify the domain of the solutions by using the option "Complexes -> True". For example, "Solve[x^2+1=0, x, Complexes->True]" will find the complex solutions to the equation.

What if the "Solve" function returns an empty set?

If the "Solve" function returns an empty set, it means that there are no exact solutions to the given equations or inequalities. This could be due to the equations being inconsistent or the variables being dependent on each other.

Can I use the "Solve" function for numeric solutions?

Yes, you can use the "Solve" function to find numeric solutions by using the option "Reals -> True" or "Numeric -> True". This will return approximate solutions instead of exact solutions. For example, "Solve[x^2-2x+1=0, x, Reals->True]" will give the approximate solution x=1.