Features Temporarily Disabled Due To Instability

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, there have been some recent issues with server instability and errors on the main index page. It was discovered that the IPMI card was causing the issue and has since been replaced. There have been some inconveniences, such as disabled features and broken latex and attachments, but the main hard drive has been replaced and things are gradually being fixed. Despite the challenges, Greg has been working hard to resolve the issues and has received appreciation from users. Some minor issues, such as categories for blogs, are still being worked on.
We've been experiencing some instability so until I figure out the exact cause some features will be disabled off and on throughout the next few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Our IPMI card appears to be a culprit in the server's instability. It has been replaced.

Thanks for all of your hard work Greg!

Thanks Greg. I hope it didn't ruin your Sunday afternoon.

Is that related to the long list of errors I'm currently seeing on the main index page?

This is what they all are:

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/rss.sciam.com-sciam-physics.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/rss.sciam.com-sciam-physics.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-external.phptype-rss2-forumids-186.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-external.phptype-rss2-forumids-186.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-mgc_gloss-mgc_gloss_rss.xml.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-mgc_gloss-mgc_gloss_rss.xml.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicspost.com-rss.php.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicspost.com-rss.php.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-blog_external.php.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/physicsf/cache/www.physicsforums.com-blog_external.php.cache) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Read-only file system in [path]/includes/init.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 260

Greg Bernhardt said:
Our IPMI card appears to be a culprit in the server's instability.

What an irony.

Moonbear said:
Is that related to the long list of errors I'm currently seeing on the main index page?

This is what they all are:

I got something similar.

Is PF about to collapse under the weight of the 2,000,000 postings?

Count Iblis said:

Obviously we have some kind of crisis, either soft of hard. Hopefully Greg will be able to deal with the problems soon. Fingers crossed Greg :smile:

Count Iblis said:

Thankfully the DB is on a separate HD and is healthy. Maybe our 800,000 latex images are wearing down the web server HD :) Looking into getting it replaced ASAP.

the worst is over now, some things may still be broke like latex and attachments. working on these now

Wow...that was some "worst"!

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow...that was some "worst"!

tell me about it! i have no slept yet and it's noon here :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
tell me about it! i have no slept yet and it's noon here :(

I appreciate your hard work, Greg...thanks!

Thanks Greg.
Been there, done that, bough the T-shirt.
At least you only have disgruntled users breathing down your neck in cyberspace - they don't know where you live !

Great Job Greg, Thanks

Thanks Greg, I felt uneasy for the whole day... :wink:

Great to see LaTeX back up and the upgrades in the blogs are a plus. One small issue is that putting blogs into categories has been disabled, also when you edit an existing blog and save it, it drops out of the category it was in and ends up in uncategorized. No big deal but I imagine you would want to know.

What does "Features Temporarily Disabled Due To Instability" mean?

"Features Temporarily Disabled Due To Instability" refers to a situation where certain features or functions of a system, software, or application are temporarily unavailable due to technical issues or problems that may affect its stability or performance.

Why are features temporarily disabled?

Features may be temporarily disabled due to a variety of reasons, such as software bugs, server issues, or unexpected errors. This is done to prevent further problems and maintain the stability of the system.

How long do features stay disabled?

The duration of the disabled features depends on the severity of the issue and the time it takes for the developers to fix it. It can range from a few hours to a few days, depending on the complexity of the problem.

Can I still use the other features while some are disabled?

Yes, you can still use the other available features while some are temporarily disabled. However, there may be some limitations or disruptions in the overall functionality of the system.

How can I know when the disabled features will be back?

The developers or technical support team will typically provide updates on when the features will be back. You can also check the system's status page or social media accounts for any announcements or estimated time of resolution.