Calculate Ambient Noise Intensity Increase: 86.0 dB - 85 dB

In summary, the machinist is in an environment with a sound level of 85 dB and plays music at an average level of 86.0 dB. When combined, the intensities of the two sources are added together, but the dB levels are not directly added.
collegegirl13
A machinist is in an environment where the ambient sound level is of 85 dB, i.e., corresponding to the 8 Hours/day noise level. The machinist likes to listen to music, and plays a Boom Box at an average level of 86.0 dB.

A.Calculate the INCREASE in the sound level from the ambient work environment level (in dB)

I'm not sure really what to do... do I just subtract the two, because that seems to easy I changed the dB to intensity and stuff but not sure what to do with them either or if that is even right... Any help would be nice, or even a hint! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that, unless the worker has a Bose noise-cancellation headphone, his music is not going to block the ambient noise, but add to it. Therefore the intensities of the two sources are going to be added together. This does not correspond to the dB's being added though.

As a scientist, it is important to accurately analyze and interpret data. In this case, the first step would be to convert the sound levels from decibels (dB) to sound intensity in watts per square meter (W/m^2). This can be done using the formula I = 10^(dB/10).

In this scenario, the ambient noise intensity is 10^(85/10) = 10^8.5 = 3162.277 W/m^2. The sound intensity of the Boom Box is 10^(86/10) = 10^8.6 = 3981.071 W/m^2.

Next, we can calculate the increase in sound intensity by subtracting the ambient noise intensity from the Boom Box sound intensity: 3981.071 - 3162.277 = 819.794 W/m^2.

Finally, to calculate the increase in sound level in decibels, we can use the formula dB = 10 log (I2/I1), where I2 is the new sound intensity and I1 is the original sound intensity. Plugging in the values, we get dB = 10 log (819.794/3162.277) = 10 log (0.259) = -5.9 dB.

This means that the machinist is exposed to an increase of -5.9 dB in sound level when listening to music at 86.0 dB in an environment with an ambient sound level of 85 dB. It is important for the machinist to be aware of this increase in sound level and take necessary precautions to protect their hearing.

What is ambient noise intensity?

Ambient noise intensity refers to the amount of sound energy present in a given environment. It is often measured in decibels (dB) and can include both natural and human-made sounds.

What is the difference between 86.0 dB and 85 dB?

The difference between 86.0 dB and 85 dB is 1 dB. This may seem like a small difference, but in terms of sound intensity, it represents an increase of about 26%.

How is ambient noise intensity increase calculated?

Ambient noise intensity increase is calculated by taking the difference between two decibel levels and converting it into a percentage. In this case, the increase would be 1 dB, which equates to a 26% increase in sound intensity.

What factors can affect ambient noise intensity?

There are several factors that can affect ambient noise intensity, including the proximity to noise sources, the time of day, and the type of environment. Human activities, such as construction or traffic, can also contribute to changes in ambient noise intensity.

Is an increase of 1 dB significant in terms of ambient noise intensity?

Yes, an increase of 1 dB can be significant in terms of ambient noise intensity. This increase represents a 26% change in sound intensity, which can be noticeable and potentially disruptive to human activities.