Integrate 0 to ∞: Improper √x/(x^2+1)

But I suppose they can't really prevent someone from using it by private communication.In summary, The conversation was about finding the integral of \int\sqrt{x}/(x^2 + 1)dx using different methods. The comparison method was suggested but it was noted that it could only show the integral exists and provide a bound, not actually compute the integral. The use of contour integration was also mentioned but deemed too advanced for the problem at hand. The discovery of Wolfram Alpha was seen as a helpful tool for learning mathematics.
Bachelier
Please I need help with this Improper Integration between 0 and infinity

[tex]\int\sqrt{x}/(x^2 + 1)dx[/tex]

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Integration By Parts

[tex]\int[/tex] u dv = uv - [tex]\int[/tex] v du

It doesn't work my friend. The only way to integrate this is via the comparison method.
Unfortunately I get stuck in the interval [0,1].

substitute u = sqr(x), then use partial fractions

Last edited:
please see attached

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 392
Oh, great. So Wolfram Alpha will not only tell you the answer to your homework, it will tell you what intermediate steps to write down. That's nasty.

Bachelier said:
It doesn't work my friend. The only way to integrate this is via the comparison method.
Unfortunately I get stuck in the interval [0,1].

You can't really 'integrate' using the comparison method, but you can show the integral exists and find a bound on it. If that's all you want to do, it's a lot easier than actually doing the integration. To deal with the interval [0,1] you had the right idea when you looked at the graph and observed it's approximately between 0 and 1/2. You could just compute the upper bound by finding the derivative, looking for critical points etc. If you do you'll find it's actually a bit larger than 1/2.

Computing the integral is a piece of cake using contour integration. In fact, it is so easy you can do it in your head. It is:

[tex]\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Count Iblis said:
Computing the integral is a piece of cake using contour integration. In fact, it is so easy you can do it in your head. It is:

[tex]\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

I am not yet familiar with contour integration. But thank you for the heads-up. I am going to run a google search for it.

Dick said:
You can't really 'integrate' using the comparison method, but you can show the integral exists and find a bound on it. If that's all you want to do, it's a lot easier than actually doing the integration. To deal with the interval [0,1] you had the right idea when you looked at the graph and observed it's approximately between 0 and 1/2. You could just compute the upper bound by finding the derivative, looking for critical points etc. If you do you'll find it's actually a bit larger than 1/2.

Thank you Dick...Your answer helped a lot in directing me towards the correct answer.

in [0,1], I get a maxima of [tex]1/\sqrt{3}[/tex]. The graph interestingly goes beyond y=1/2 but never above y= 0.6, making the area less than or equal to [tex]1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] in the said interval.

The maximum on [0,1] is attained at x=1/sqrt(3) making the value of the integral over [0,1] less than f(1/sqrt(3)) where f(x)=sqrt(x)/(x^2+1). That's what you meant to say, right? You could also do a rougher comparison by noting sqrt(x)/(1+x^2)<=1/1, the max of the numerator over the min of the denominator.

Dick said:
The maximum on [0,1] is attained at x=1/sqrt(3) making the value of the integral over [0,1] less than f(1/sqrt(3)) where f(x)=sqrt(x)/(x^2+1). That's what you meant to say, right? You could also do a rougher comparison by noting sqrt(x)/(1+x^2)<=1/1, the max of the numerator over the min of the denominator.

Indeed..Thanks for the editing. :)
regarding your quote: "You could also do a rougher comparison by noting sqrt(x)/(1+x^2)<=1/1, the max of the numerator over the min of the denominator.

You are absolutely correct, but if we wanted to narrow down the area, we can use the graph to calculate the maximum value of y, here y= f(1/sqrt(3))=0.59 and since x=1, then the area under the graph is smaller or equal to x*y = 0.59...

What do you think?

please see attached pic for the graph. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 350
Sure you could. If you wanted to narrow it more you could cut [0,1] into subintervals, and also split [1,infinity) into subintervals. Depends on what you want to do. You could also with some work integrate it exactly using either substitution and partial fraction as waht suggested or a contour integration as Count Iblis suggested. If you haven't done contour integrals before I wouldn't suggest starting with this one. And waht's technique is kind of a long haul too, but doesn't require complex analysis. Like I say, depends on what kind of answer you are happy with.

Dick said:
Oh, great. So Wolfram Alpha will not only tell you the answer to your homework, it will tell you what intermediate steps to write down. That's nasty.

Dick, thank you for coaching me through this problem. It allowed me to review and practice some concepts. I hope we can repeat this in the future with more problems.

On another note, the greatest discovery for me was the engine called Wolfram Alpha mentioned by Waht. This discovery by itself was worth the thread. Although Waht decided to delete the link, I am still thankful. I think this is a great tool for someone who wants to learn and understand mathematics, and not just do homework or get an A or B in a class.

I have Maple and Mathematica 7 installed on my computer, yet I found alpha a lot smoother and more fun.

You're welcome. Wolfram Alpha seems pretty dangerous to me. I can imagine some people might have a hard time resisting the urge to peek at the answer before they even try to solve the problem. If the contents of WA's 'Show steps' were posted on the Forum as the response to a question the moderators would delete it.

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand has a discontinuity within the interval of integration. It is called "improper" because it does not meet the standard conditions for a definite integral.

What is the significance of the square root in the integrand?

The square root in the integrand indicates that the function is not continuous for all values of x. This means that the integral is improper and must be evaluated using special techniques.

How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you can use a mathematical technique called "limit of integration". This involves taking the limit of the integral as the upper or lower bound approaches infinity (or a point of discontinuity). If the limit exists, then it is the value of the improper integral.

What is the limit of integration for this particular integral?

The limit of integration for this integral is infinity, since the upper bound is ∞. This means that the upper bound is not a specific number, but rather a concept of approaching infinity.

Can the improper integral be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus only applies to definite integrals where the upper and lower bounds are finite. Improper integrals require special techniques to evaluate, such as limit of integration or other methods.