Is this a correct mathematical solution?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct mathematical solution for a problem involving a bent rod with a semicircular shape and an electric field at a point. The correct charge density and radius are established, but there is a disagreement about the use of Coulomb's law and the integral to find the final direction of the field. It is eventually determined that the integral should be taken from 0 to pi, and the correct component to use is sin. There is also a discussion about measuring theta from different points, but it is ultimately concluded that both Cartesian and polar coordinates can be used.
transgalactic
is this a correct mathematical solution??

question:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hwcswm.gif

solution:
[tex]
\sigma=\frac{7.5\mu c}{14}=0.53571428571428571428571428571429\mu c\\
[/tex]
[tex]
14=2\pi r\\
[/tex]
[tex]
r=\frac{14}{\pi}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
dq=\sigma r d\theta \\
[/tex]
[tex]
k\sigma r\int_{0}^{\pi}d\theta=k\sigma r (\pi-0)=...
[/tex]

is it a correct solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi transgalactic,

The rod is bent into a semicircle, not a circle, so you should have 14 = (2πr)/2 = πr. What's your reasoning behind the integral at the end?

ohh you are correct
but thus is a minor mistake.
the main issue is with the integral.
i took a small part of a charge and calculated its contribution on the field of point p.
and then i sum them..

is it correct

Hi transgalactic! :smile:

Your charge density σ = 7.5/14 µC and your radius r = 14/π are correct :smile:

but I don't understand what τ is, nor your dq = στdθ equation …

you need to integrate the field (a vector) from each dθ segment …

what is it? :wink:

EDIT: oops … I thought your r was a τ … sorry :redface:

Last edited:

No, it doesn't look correct to me.

Let's do it step by step. The small charge within dθ is (σ⋅r⋅dθ). You got that correct. This small charge is a distance r away from the point O. Now use Coulombs law to find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at O due to this small charge.

i forgot to use the formula of a field.
[tex]

\frac{k\sigma r}{r^2}\int_{0}^{\pi}d\theta=\frac{k\sigma }{r} (\pi-0)=
[/tex]
now its correct?

You must take into account the fact that the vectors are not all pointing in the same direction. Your integral just gives you the sum of the magnitudes of the E field due to each small charge. That's not what you want. What you want is the vector sum. Draw a picture. What does the symmetry of the situation tell you about the final direction of the field? Using the symmetry, you will be able to ignore one of the components in the vector sum.

i know that the "y" components are being canceled
i thought that the integral sorts that out.
how to do it in a vectorized way so it will cancel the y components by itself,
and not by the way of taking components of the feils of each part
??

You used Coulom's law to find the magnitude of the field to to a small charge (σ⋅r⋅dθ) at the point P:

[tex] |dE| = \frac{r d\theta \sigma}{4\pi\epsilon_{0} r^2} [/tex].

What are the x and y components of this vector? If the x-component is dEx, then the x-component of the final vector will be

[tex] \int dE_{x} [/tex]

Similarly for the y-component. You can tell that the y-component of the final vector will be zero because of the symmetry, so you just have one integral to do.

i get the x component by multiplying by cos theta
and because of the simitry i need to multiply by 2
[tex]
2cos \theta \frac{k\sigma r}{r^2}\int_{0}^{\pi}d\theta=2cos \theta\frac{k\sigma }{r} (\pi-0)
[/tex]
correct?

Why is cos(θ) outside the integral? It should be inside. And there's no need to multiply by 2.

You found that

[tex] dE_{x} = \frac{k r \sigma d\theta}{r^2} \cos(\theta) [/tex].

So x-component of the final vector is

[tex] \int dE_{x} = \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{k r \sigma d\theta}{r^2} \cos(\theta) [/tex]

dx said:
And there's no need to multiply by 2.

unless you make the integral from 0 to π/2 :wink:

so we take the sum of all x components from 0 to \pi (no multiply by 2)
[tex]
\frac{k\sigma r}{r^2}\int_{0}^{\pi}cos \theta d\theta= ..
[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
unless you make the integral from 0 to π/2 :wink:

Now why didn't I think of that! You're so clever tiny-tim. :smile:

thanks

transgalactic said:
so we take the sum of all x components from 0 to \pi (no multiply by 2)
[tex]
\frac{k\sigma r}{r^2}\int_{0}^{\pi}cos \theta d\theta= ..
[/tex]

Yes, that's correct.

(BTW, you're taking k = 1/(4πε0) right?)

erm :redface: … with those limits, isn't it ∫ sinθ dθ?

Oops, sorry! tiny-tim is right. It should be sin.

sin is the y components
cos is the x

It depends on where you're measuring theta from.

look at the photo at the start of the thread
x component is cos theta

You didn't say where you were measuring theta from in your picture.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9175/moooss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
transgalactic said:
look at the photo at the start of the thread
x component is cos theta

(No, the photo is vague about that. But anyway:)

If you want the x component to be cosθ, you must integrate from -π/2 to π/2 :wink:

yes!

dx said:
You didn't say where you were measuring theta from in your picture.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9175/moooss.jpg
[/URL]

like that

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
(No, the photo is vague about that. But anyway:)

If you want the x component to be cosθ, you must integrate from -π/2 to π/2 :wink:

ohhh you are correct too
thanks

If it's like that, then you integrate from 0 to pi, and it will be sin.

If you measure it from the negative x-axis, it will be cos, and the limits will be -pi/2 to pi/2.

but it Cartesian system on polar coordinates.
i need to draw cartesian x axes and y axes even if it polar coordinates
?

You can use both at the same time for different parts of the problem, nothing wrong with that.

1. What is the process for determining if a mathematical solution is correct?

The process for determining if a mathematical solution is correct involves checking each step of the solution to ensure that it follows the correct mathematical rules and principles. This includes checking for errors in calculations, verifying that the solution satisfies all given conditions and equations, and double-checking for any potential mistakes.

2. How can you tell if a mathematical solution is incorrect?

A mathematical solution is considered incorrect if it does not follow the correct rules and principles of mathematics. This can include errors in calculations, not satisfying all given conditions and equations, or making any logical or mathematical errors in the solution process. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution to identify and correct any mistakes.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to determine if a mathematical solution is correct?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks to determine if a mathematical solution is correct, there are some strategies that can make the process more efficient. These include breaking down the solution into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids or diagrams to help understand the problem, and checking for common mistakes or patterns in the solution process.

4. Can a solution be considered correct if it differs from the expected answer?

In some cases, a mathematical solution may differ from the expected answer due to rounding errors or using different methods to solve the problem. However, it is important to carefully verify the solution to ensure that it is correct and satisfies all given conditions and equations. If the solution differs significantly from the expected answer, it may be necessary to recheck the solution process for any potential errors.

5. How can you improve your ability to determine if a mathematical solution is correct?

One of the best ways to improve your ability to determine if a mathematical solution is correct is through practice and familiarity with mathematical principles and formulas. Additionally, seeking feedback and guidance from other experts, utilizing online resources and tools, and carefully reviewing and analyzing your own solutions can also help improve your skills in determining the correctness of mathematical solutions.