Computational Math Textbooks

In summary, the person is interested in both math and physics and is looking for recommendations for math books that are more geared towards physics, specifically in the subjects of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They mention the book "Calculus" by Spivak and note that pure math books still teach computation. They also mention the books "Stewart" or "Thomas" for calculus, "Lang" for linear algebra, and "Boyce and DiPrima" for differential equations, or an "all in one" book by Boas. They are unsure if pure mathematics will help them in studying physics and are looking for information on computational math textbooks.
brainy kevin
I've been interested in math and physics, and I already have a pretty good list of pure math books I'm going to read. (I'm about to start Spivak's "Calculus".) However, I also want to learn about physics, so I would like some recommendations for math books that are more "computational". I'm not requesting "dumbed down" books, just ones geared more towards physics. I would specifically like books on calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dumbed down and computational are equivalent in mathematics. Spivak, and any other "pure" math book still teaches computation, so if you complete it you will be ready for physics. We physicists use computational books because we don't have time to learn it the pure/proper way, because the pure way is too slow and we don't really need it. Once you are in college, you will understand how we're already using multivariable calc before single var calc is completed. There is nothing unique in computation books other than more practice problems and less rigour. But here you are anyway:

Calc - Stewart or THomas
Linear algebra - lang
ODE - boyce and diprima

Or try an "all in one" book, mathemtics for physical sciences by boas.

Thanks Howers. What I really want to know then is if pure mathematics will help me if I decide I want to start studying physics. That's all I need to know about computational math textbooks.

What is computational math?

Computational math is a branch of mathematics that focuses on using computers to solve mathematical problems and analyze data. It combines principles from both mathematics and computer science to develop algorithms and models that can be used in various fields.

What are computational math textbooks?

Computational math textbooks are instructional materials that cover topics related to computational mathematics. They typically include theories, concepts, and practical applications of computational methods and algorithms.

What are some common topics covered in computational math textbooks?

Some common topics covered in computational math textbooks include numerical analysis, optimization, linear algebra, differential equations, and data analysis. They also often cover programming languages and software used in computational mathematics, such as MATLAB and Python.

Who can benefit from using computational math textbooks?

Anyone interested in developing skills in computational mathematics can benefit from using computational math textbooks. This includes students studying mathematics, computer science, engineering, and other related fields, as well as professionals in industries where computational methods and algorithms are used.

How can I choose the right computational math textbook?

Choosing the right computational math textbook depends on your level of mathematical and programming knowledge, as well as your specific interests and goals. It's important to research and read reviews to find a textbook that aligns with your needs and learning style.