How many peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid, without D2O?

In summary: Do you understand how this number is obtained? There's a reason we use the word "integration." It's the same integration we do in calculus.In summary, the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid without D2O as the solvent will have 4 peaks (or 5 if the carboxylic acid groups are not identical). This is because the two -COOH groups are essentially identical hydrogen environments, resulting in only one peak for both. The peaks correspond to one environment with a single H bonded to the Carbon that is also bonded to the OH, one environment with a single H in the -OH bonded to the same Carbon, and one environment with two H's bonded to the remaining Carbon. Integration, or determining the number of
Oldor

Homework Statement

How many peaks will there be in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid, HOOC CH2 CH(OH) COOH, WITHOUT D2O as the solvent (i.e. Hydrogens in Hydroxyl groups WILL have corresponding peaks)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the two -COOH groups will be identical Hydrogen environments, so there would only be one peak for both. There will be one environment with the single H bonded to the Carbon that is also bonded to the OH; one environment with the single H in the -OH bonded to that same Carbon; and one environment with the two H's bonded to the remaining Carbon. A total of 4 peaks without D2O (or 5 if the Carboxylic acid groups are not identical)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oldor said:
I thought the two -COOH groups will be identical Hydrogen environments, so there would only be one peak for both. There will be one environment with the single H bonded to the Carbon that is also bonded to the OH; one environment with the single H in the -OH bonded to that same Carbon; and one environment with the two H's bonded to the remaining Carbon. A total of 4 peaks without D2O (or 5 if the Carboxylic acid groups are not identical)?
This is correct. (the two carboxyl hydrogens are essentially identical).

Oldor said:

Homework Statement

How many peaks will there be in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid, HOOC CH2 CH(OH) COOH, WITHOUT D2O as the solvent (i.e. Hydrogens in Hydroxyl groups WILL have corresponding peaks)?

The Attempt at a Solution

TeethWhitener said:
This is correct. (the two carboxyl hydrogens are essentially identical).
What would be an example of this graph? Could you identify how many peaks and the integration that occurs? If you can, would you explain why it occurs?

JDanielK said:
What would be an example of this graph? Could you identify how many peaks and the integration that occurs? If you can, would you explain why it occurs?
There are databases online (SDBS, for example) with the malic acid spectrum in an aprotic solvent like DMSO. The spectrum looks pretty much like what you’d expect from basic NMR theory. Is there anything specific you want to know about the spectrum?

TeethWhitener said:
There are databases online (SDBS, for example) with the malic acid spectrum in an aprotic solvent like DMSO. The spectrum looks pretty much like what you’d expect from basic NMR theory. Is there anything specific you want to know about the spectrum?
Thank you for the quick reply! I have an H-NMR of Malic Acid and am having trouble understanding it and cannot analyse it properly. How can I determine the structure of Malic Acid (HOOCCH2CH(OH)COOH) from this graph? Does integration and peak numbers have anything to do with it?. Below is the spectrum of Malic acid. I'm lost when it comes to these graphs. It was sourced from:(http://bmrb.wisc.edu/metabolomics/mol_summary/show_data.php?id=bmse000238&whichTab=1 and http://bmrb.wisc.edu/ftp/pub/bmrb/metabolomics/entry_directories/bmse000238/nmr/set01/spectra/1H.png)

Attachments

• 1H.png
    1H.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:
Peaks, or environments? Each of the protons is different in malic acid, so feasibly you could see 6 different environments.

How would you determine the structure of Malic acid from the NMR above?

In short, I probably wouldn't, at least not in isolation. I may have an inkling of how my unknown was made, or other spectral data. Also, in 1H NMR these are usually integrated, which may also give a clue.

Likes TeethWhitener
Thanks for the answers! I apologise if I seem repetitive, but this stuff genuinely stumps me. How could you integrate this graph? Is it even possible for this to be done on this particular graph? Again I apologise if I'm repetitive, but I need help. Thank you.

JDanielK said:
How could you integrate this graph?
What do you think integration means?

TeethWhitener said:
What do you think integration means?
The number of protons relevant to the peak.

JDanielK said:
The number of protons relevant to the peak.
Do you understand how this number is obtained? There's a reason we use the word "integration." It's the same integration we do in calculus.

1. How many peaks are expected in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid?

The NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) spectrum of Malic Acid without D2O typically shows 8 peaks.

2. What causes the multiple peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid?

The multiple peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid are due to the different chemical environments of the hydrogen atoms in the molecule. Each peak corresponds to the unique chemical environment of a specific hydrogen atom.

3. Can the number of peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid vary?

Yes, the number of peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid can vary depending on the experimental conditions such as temperature and solvent used. In some cases, additional peaks may appear due to the presence of impurities in the sample.

4. What is the significance of the number of peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid?

The number of peaks in the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid provides information about the molecular structure and the chemical environment of the hydrogen atoms in the molecule. By analyzing the peaks, scientists can determine the connectivity and arrangement of atoms in the molecule.

5. How can understanding the NMR spectrum of Malic Acid be useful in research?

The NMR spectrum of Malic Acid can be used to study the chemical properties and reactions of the molecule, which can be beneficial in various fields such as drug discovery, food science, and material science. It is also a valuable tool in determining the purity and composition of a sample.