Is My Solution Correct for Finding v0 Using Superposition Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition to solve a circuit and the question of whether the solution is correct. The conversation also addresses some mistakes made in the calculation process, such as using the incorrect value for the resistor and the incorrect treatment of the voltage source.
noppawit
I'm solving by using superposition, I would like to ask that my solution is correct or not.

By the way, the question is "Find v0"

http://www.wisheyebio.com/uploads/Picture1.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about superposition, but if you use KCL at the top node, you have three branches:

The left branch has the current source and two resistors.

The right branch has the voltage source and two resistors.

The middle branch has the remaining resistor.

KCL says that:

current going into node = current coming out of node

which, in this case means:

current in left branch + current in right branch = current in middle branch.

I called the current in the right branch i0, which makes v0 = i0R. I get a significantly different answer (-1.00 V), which I confirmed using a circuit-solving program.

noppawit said:
I'm solving by using superposition, I would like to ask that my solution is correct or not.

By the way, the question is "Find v0"

http://www.wisheyebio.com/uploads/Picture1.png [Broken]
[/URL]

You made two mistakes in the second equation. Since [tex]i_x[/tex] is entering the plus sign of the voltage source, it should enter the equation as +9V, instead of -9V.
Also, [tex]R + R + \frac{2}{3}R = \frac{8}{3}R[/tex], not [tex]\frac{32}{3}R[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, when treating the 9V source you would replace the current source with an open circuit, not a short. So the 2/3 R was incorrect to begin with.

Redbelly98 said:
IIRC, when treating the 9V source you would replace the current source with an open circuit, not a short. So the 2/3 R was incorrect to begin with.
You are right.

1. What is the superposition method in solving equations?

The superposition method is a technique used in solving systems of linear equations. It involves breaking down a complex system into smaller, simpler systems and then combining the solutions to these smaller systems to obtain the solution to the original system.

2. How does the superposition method work?

The superposition method works by assigning a weight or coefficient to each equation in a system. The weight represents the proportion of the solution that each equation contributes. These weighted equations are then added together to obtain the solution.

3. What are the advantages of using the superposition method?

One advantage of using the superposition method is that it can be applied to systems with any number of equations, making it a versatile tool in solving complex systems. Additionally, it does not require any specialized knowledge or techniques, making it accessible to anyone familiar with basic algebra.

4. Are there any limitations to using the superposition method?

While the superposition method is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to solve linear systems of equations, meaning that all variables must have a power of 1. It also requires the equations to be independent, meaning they cannot be multiples of each other.

5. When is the superposition method most useful?

The superposition method is most useful when dealing with systems of equations that have multiple variables and complex relationships between them. It can also be helpful when solving real-world problems, such as in engineering and physics, where systems are often modeled using equations with multiple variables.