Relative velocities of decay products

In summary, two particles of equal mass decay into two identical particles each of mass .3M. The initial particle has a momentum of .98c in the laboratory reference frame. After applying relativistic mechanics, it is found that the two particles have a combined momentum of -.63c in the COM frame.
w3390

Homework Statement

A particle of mass M decays into two identical particles each of mass m, where m = 0.3M. Prior to the decay, the particle of mass M has a total energy of 5Mc^2 in the laboratory reference frame. The velocities of the decay product are along the direction of motion M. Find the velocities of the decay products in the laboratory reference frame.

Homework Equations

E=[tex]\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the concept down in my head. I know I will get two different velocities for the two identical particles. I think it will similar to a doppler effect where the particle formed in the direction of motion gets a speed boost, whereas the particle formed in the direction opposite of motion has a slower speed. So far I have used the equation above to find that the initial particle is traveling at .98c. However, this is where I am confused because how do I figure out how fast the particles resulting from the decay of the original particle move?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The velocities of the decay product are along the direction of motion M.

Two particles of equal mass. Think conservation of momentum.

Ya, that's what I was going with. So I set up MV=mv+mv. So MV=.6Mv. Since V=.98c and the M's all cancel, I am getting v=1.63c. Have I made an incorrect assumption or maybe some mathematical error?

Realize that it's relativistic. And the velocities are vectors.

In the COM, the inertial frame of the initial particle of M, the net momentum = 0. One particle moves forward in along the initial trajectory and the other particle moves backward.

In COM frame, the net momentum must still be zero for the two particles.

and don't forget [itex]\gamma{mv}[/itex]

It's been a while since I've done relativistic mechanics, so I have to pull the cobwebs out of my belfrey.

If I set it up so the momentum of the two particles is zero, then:

[tex]p_{1}[/tex]+[tex]p_{2}[/tex]=0

[tex]p_{1}[/tex]=-[tex]p_{2}[/tex]

Using [tex]\vec{p}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{m\vec{u}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mu}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]= -[tex]\frac{mu}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

This is where I am confused. Is the u in the numerator the same as the u in the denominator. I do know that the u in the numerator on the left side is equal in magnitude as the u on the right side but opposite in sign. It seems like I need another equation. Can anybody help me out by pointing me in the right direction. Any input is much appreciated.

1. What are relative velocities of decay products?

The relative velocity of decay products refers to the speed at which the particles produced from a radioactive decay travel in relation to each other. This velocity is affected by the energy released during the decay and the mass of the particles.

2. How is the relative velocity of decay products measured?

The relative velocity of decay products can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as time-of-flight measurements, magnetic spectrometers, and scintillation detectors. These methods allow scientists to accurately measure the speed and direction of the particles.

3. What factors affect the relative velocities of decay products?

The relative velocities of decay products are primarily affected by the type of decay, the energy released, and the mass of the particles. Other factors such as the environment and external forces may also have an impact on the velocities.

4. Why is it important to study the relative velocities of decay products?

Studying the relative velocities of decay products can provide valuable information about the properties of the particles involved in the decay and the fundamental forces that govern these processes. It can also help scientists understand the origins and behavior of unstable nuclei.

5. Can the relative velocities of decay products be predicted?

While the relative velocities of decay products can be estimated based on theoretical models, they cannot be predicted with absolute certainty due to the probabilistic nature of radioactive decay. However, with advanced technology and precise measurements, scientists can make accurate predictions about the velocities of decay products.