Integrate 1/cos(x): Wolfram Alpha Guide

• Thread starter soopo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, there are multiple ways to integrate 1/cosx (or secx), including using the substitution u = sinx or the "clever substitution" u = secx + tanx. The general substitution for integrating a rational function of sin and cos is t=tan(x/2). There may be slight differences in the answers depending on which method is used.
soopo
How can you intgertate the 1/cos(x)?

The right answer can be found in Wolfram alpha at http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/cos(x)

My first wrong answer was ln(cos(x)).
It suggests me that you cannot use the rule, ln(x), for trigonometric functions

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways to integrate 1/cosx, or secx; just look on Google. You can try
[tex]\frac{1}{cosx}*\frac{cosx}{cosx} = \frac{cosx}{cos^2x} = \frac{cosx}{1-sin^2x}[/tex]
and use u = sinx. Or working with secx, use the "clever substitution," as my calc book says, u = secx + tanx, du = sec2x + secxtanx dx. Then substitute u into the previous equation, get u and du together, and integrate.

Hi soopo
you can integrata as follows:
sec x + tan x
∫ (1/cos x) dx=∫ sec x dx=∫ sec x ______________ dx
sec x + tan x

(sec x)^2 + sec x tan x
∫ ___________________ dx
sec x + tan x
= ln(sec x + tan x) + C since the numerator is the derivative of the denominator.
Best Regards
Riad Zaidan

Bohrok said:
There are several ways to integrate 1/cosx, or secx; just look on Google. You can try
[tex]\frac{1}{cosx}*\frac{cosx}{cosx} = \frac{cosx}{cos^2x} = \frac{cosx}{1-sin^2x}[/tex]
and use u = sinx. Or working with secx, use the "clever substitution," as my calc book says, u = secx + tanx, du = sec2x + secxtanx dx. Then substitute u into the previous equation, get u and du together, and integrate.

Thanks Bohrok!

I use this

cosx / (1 - (sinx)^2)

I get

1 / (1-u) du = ln|1-u|

Then, putting u=sinx back to the equation

1 / (1 - sinx) + C

---

This answer seems to differ from the answer in Wolfram Alpha.

soopo said:
Thanks Bohrok!

I use this

cosx / (1 - (sinx)^2)

I get

1 / (1-u) du = ln|1-u|
No, you get 1/(1- u^2) du

Then, putting u=sinx back to the equation

1 / (1 - sinx) + C

---

This answer seems to differ from the answer in Wolfram Alpha.

This may be worth remembering - the general substitution for integrating a rational function of sin, cos R(sin(x),cos(x)), which always works, is:

- t=cos(x) if R(-u,v)=-R(u,v)
- t=sin(x) if R(u,-v)=-R(u,v)
- t=tg(x) if R(-u,-v)=R(u,v)
- t=tg(x/2) in general

HallsofIvy said:
No, you get 1/(1- u^2) du

Thanks for the correction.

I get

I [ 1 / (1 - u^2) = .5 ln (1+sinx) - .5 ln (1 - sinx) + C

Preno said:
This may be worth remembering - the general substitution for integrating a rational function of sin, cos R(sin(x),cos(x)), which always works, is:

- t=cos(x) if R(-u,v)=-R(u,v)
- t=sin(x) if R(u,-v)=-R(u,v)
- t=tg(x) if R(-u,-v)=R(u,v)
- t=tg(x/2) in general

1. What is tg?

2. What is R(-u, v) = -R(u,v)?

tg = tan

R(u,v) is the rational function into which you plug sin(x) and cos(x) respectively. If R is "odd with respect to sin", you substitute for cos, and vice versa. t=tan(x/2) is the general substitution which always works (but can be rather cumbersome).

edit, never mind :)

1. How do I use Wolfram Alpha to integrate 1/cos(x)?

To use Wolfram Alpha to integrate 1/cos(x), simply type "integrate 1/cos(x)" into the search bar and press enter. The result will show step-by-step instructions for solving the integral.

2. What is the result of integrating 1/cos(x) on Wolfram Alpha?

The result of integrating 1/cos(x) on Wolfram Alpha is the antiderivative of 1/cos(x), which is equal to ln|sec(x)+tan(x)| + C.

3. Can Wolfram Alpha solve indefinite integrals of 1/cos(x)?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can solve both definite and indefinite integrals of 1/cos(x). It will provide the result in the form of an antiderivative, which can then be simplified or evaluated further.

4. Is there a way to check my work when integrating 1/cos(x) on Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha has a "Show Steps" feature that allows you to see the step-by-step process of solving the integral. This can be helpful in checking your work or understanding the solution better.

5. Can Wolfram Alpha solve integrals of 1/cos(x) with limits?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can solve integrals of 1/cos(x) with specified limits. Simply include the limits in the search query, for example, "integrate 1/cos(x) from 0 to pi/4" and Wolfram Alpha will provide the result with the given limits.