Why do men prefer hot girls over cute girls?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Random
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why most males prefer hot girls over cute girls and whether or not this preference is based on societal norms or biology. Some argue that it could be a personal preference and that the terms "hot" and "cute" are subjective and open to interpretation. Others suggest that societal pressure and media influence may play a role in shaping this preference. Ultimately, the conversation ends with no definitive answer, as individuals have their own unique preferences and definitions of attractiveness.
jhooper3581
This is a very random question. Why does most males prefer hot girls over cute girls (provided that they're both different type of looks)?

Physics news on Phys.org

jhooper3581 said:
This is a very random question. Why does most males prefer hot girls over cute girls (provided that they're both different type of looks)?

Doesn't that beg the question?

jhooper3581 said:

I'm not even sure I understand what you're trying to say.

I prefer cute girls over hot girls :P
As for other males, I do not know.

I'm not even sure I understand what you're trying to say.

thm_phpvccqJs.png
<--- cute girl.

normal_BILD0126.JPG
<-- hot girl

See the difference xD (everyone has there own idea of cute and hot though..)

Last edited:

Sorry! said:
Doesn't that beg the question?

I don't think it's begging the question yet. It would become begging the question if someone answered something like "Men prefer hot girls over cute ones because hot girls are generally preferable, whereas cute girls are merely cute." In other words, to "beg the question" you have to answer the question by asserting the assumptions of the question.

yyttr2 said:
See the difference xD ..)
Aren't they both 1 person?o:)

jhooper3581 said:
Why does most males prefer hot girls over cute girls (provided that they're both different type of looks)?

Define hot, define cute, show research that supports your statement.

See the difference xD (everyone has there own idea of cute and hot though..)
Those are some terrible examples to illustrate your point.
Top one looks like a picture from the 80's and the bottom one is a profile view, reflected out of a mirror and almost completely obscured by hair.

I have just googled for images of "cute girls" and "hot girls". Can't say I have seen any systematic anatomical differences.

I lined up six cute girls one one side and a half dozen hot girls on the other. I was in the process of deciding which I like better when my wife came in. I prefer the quiet life, but I don't live it.

jhooper3581 said:

Why do you think most males prefer hot girls over cute girls? How you define these might be completely different than how someone else does. What you consider cute, they might consider hot. I do see what you are getting at though, and I think it really depends on who you are asking and what stage of their life they are in. I think people that aren't looking for a relationship at all prefer hot girls while someone looking to settle down a little more would prefer someone they find to be beautiful. Although I think beauty develops as you get to know someone so you could go from thinking they are hot to thinking they are beautiful. I guess "hotness" is more related to lust and beauty related to love. I don't know if anything I just said makes sense but there's my two cents.

jimmysnyder said:
I lined up six cute girls one one side and a half dozen hot girls on the other. I was in the process of deciding which I like better when my wife came in. I prefer the quiet life, but I don't live it.

:rofl:

jhooper3581 said:

Because body temperature rises about 0.4 degrees during ovulation until a few days before the start of a woman's menstrual cycle. Mating is more effective at creating offspring if it's done when a woman is fertile, so natural selection makes women with a higher body temperature more attractive than women that just look nice.

Well, it sounds good. :uhh:

And women are usually perceived to be more attractive when ovulating.

However, some women don't understand the compliment when you tell them they look as if they're ovulating.

I understand what the OP is talking about, and I prefer cute girls. As to why, I can't give a definitive answer.

Wasn't this one of the themes in Grease (and more recently, Glee)? The "cute" girl transformed into the "hot" girl to secure the affections of her beloved.

Math Is Hard said:
Wasn't this one of the themes in Grease (and more recently, Glee)? The "cute" girl transformed into the "hot" girl to secure the affections of her beloved.
Romeo and Juliet too, except she transformed into a hot guy. It's complicated and it didn't work out well.

jimmysnyder said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think this was the theme of Shrek, too, where Fiona turned into a hot chick every night and back into a cute chick every day.

Personally I like it when cute girls decide to look hot. I think most cute girls can also look hot. But not necessarily vice versa.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think it's begging the question yet. It would become begging the question if someone answered something like "Men prefer hot girls over cute ones because hot girls are generally preferable, whereas cute girls are merely cute." In other words, to "beg the question" you have to answer the question by asserting the assumptions of the question.

I think that is: circulus in probando (circular arguement).

What I meant by begging the question is that the OP has assumed that 'most guys prefer "hot" girls over "cute" girls.' I'm not sure if that's what begging the question means though. the way I view it is that they have made an assumption that should be proved prior but they've just stated it as a premise.

I do not 'prefer' hot girls over cute girls but I think these subjective terms would have to be more precisely defined to continue a discussion anyways.

This is an age old discussion: Ginger or Mary Ann?

BobG said:
I think this was the theme of Shrek, too, where Fiona turned into a hot chick every night and back into a cute chick every day.

Whether she was hot at night and cute during a day is a matter of personal preferences.

Back to the original question - what if someone prefers cute girls during a day and hot girls during a night?

Vanadium 50 said:

Definitely Mary Ann!

She's hot!

Sorry! said:
I think that is: circulus in probando (circular arguement).

What I meant by begging the question is that the OP has assumed that 'most guys prefer "hot" girls over "cute" girls.' I'm not sure if that's what begging the question means though.
I'm not completely certain myself, but I've googled it and read about 5 different sites. A couple of them characterize it as a form of circular argument, and it seems, from all 5 sites, that in order to constitute "begging the question" you need both an unproven assumption and a conclusion based on that assumption. The OP has only unproven assumptions. So, I don't think it's begging the question yet, and won't be until someone offers a conclusion arising from acceptance of the unproven assumptions. My impression is that, to be properly labeled as "begging the question" it's acceptable for the conclusion to be completely circular ("because hot girls are preferable") or not so circular ("because hot girls give the impression they'd be more exiting in bed").

All of which begs the question:"Aren't these complex arcane usages doomed by the slow but inexorable bulldozer of the increasingly popular, and simpler, use of the term as synonymous with 'raises the question'?"

Vanadium 50 said:
Mary Ann always wins because she was authentically cute while Ginger was always a hollow caricature of a hot woman.

Let's level the playing field and pit Mary Ann against authentically hot Ultraviolet:

Mary Ann:
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/blurbex/files/2008/03/mary-ann.jpg

Ultraviolet:
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/Q/J/8/ultraviolet01250610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that most men prefer women who can be both, but that is just a guess.

I prefer 'cute' primarily and 'hot' secondarily.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I think that most men prefer women who can be both, but that is just a guess.

I prefer 'cute' primarily and 'hot' secondarily.

I prefer what I'm feeling at that particular moment in time.

Math Is Hard said:

Vanadium 50 said:

Thank you for the translations. I guess I don't speak Current Young Male. Or something.

MIH, I always resented that theme from Grease, although I was convinced it was true when I saw the movie when I was a teenager.

Um, so, okay, are we debating a supposed universal truth, then?

P.S. Post #4 you were entirely unhelpful.

GeorginaS said:
Thank you for the translations. I guess I don't speak Current Young Male. Or something.

MIH, I always resented that theme from Grease, although I was convinced it was true when I saw the movie when I was a teenager.

Um, so, okay, are we debating a supposed universal truth, then?

P.S. Post #4 you were entirely unhelpful.

You could probably better describe it as "innocent" versus... "not so innocent" ("slutty" probably carries too much of a negative connotation). At least I think this describes better what is going on in the average male's mind.

The OP seems to think that men prefer the "not so innocent" type. I think that this is more a matter of them broadcasting a more 'sexual' (in men's minds) message than their counterparts. They tend to turn more heads with a short skirt, boldness, aggressiveness, ect. "Innocent" tends to be more shy, demure, coy, ect. They tend to be less obvious and many men may feel they are not as approachable so they tend to receive less direct attention. Its a stereotype that you are supposed to be more gentle with "innocent" women and more aggressive with "not so innocent" women. I think this is probably why it may seem that "hot" women get more attention.

BobG said:
Definitely Mary Ann!

She's hot!

She's totally hot. Which should confuse Georgina. But the fact is "hot" can be used to describe any sexually attractive girl. A girl's hotness may only have to be distinguished as the cute variety when she's being compared to a girl whose hotness is of the hot variety.

zoobyshoe said:
She's totally hot. Which should confuse Georgina.

Similar to the difference in girl-speak between 'Cute' and 'Handsome'. I never got that distinction either. :confused:

I like cute or hot girls.
Provided that they are naked.

rolerbe said:
Similar to the difference in girl-speak between 'Cute' and 'Handsome'. I never got that distinction either. :confused:

Hmm..."handsome" doesn't have the same connotation as "hot", mostly because women aren't wired to pursue men who advertise they are sexually available (that's how I interpret "hot" in this context).

To me, "handsome" describes a man who is nice looking and very masculine. "Cute" describes a male who is nice looking but not a mature man yet.

zoobyshoe said:
She's totally hot. Which should confuse Georgina. But the fact is "hot" can be used to describe any sexually attractive girl. A girl's hotness may only have to be distinguished as the cute variety when she's being compared to a girl whose hotness is of the hot variety.

Hey! You're deliberately trying to confuse me, now? :wink:

Of course hot women can be cute and cute women hot. I just needed some working definitions because I know what I mean when I use those terms. And, the OP apparently thinks they're completely independent of each other. And, further, thinks that blanket assumptions apply vis the question of said hotness and cuteness.

SA, I understand what's suggested and what's implied by the pigeonholes; I don't agree with the idea of universality of appeal (then again, I'm female), and I don't agree with media that reinforce the ideas. Grease is a great example. I'm not a fan of twisting oneself into a pretzel to fit someone else's idea of desirability. And I'm not a fan of desirability being so narrowly defined, and I further don't believe in the narrowness of that supposed definition. And I don't think I've had enough coffee yet to have coherent discussion about this. :smile:

lisab said:
"Cute" describes a male who is nice looking but not a mature man yet.

That means beign not nice looking and not mature I don't qualify.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You could probably better describe it as "innocent" versus... "not so innocent" ("slutty" probably carries too much of a negative connotation). At least I think this describes better what is going on in the average male's mind.

The OP seems to think that men prefer the "not so innocent" type. I think that this is more a matter of them broadcasting a more 'sexual' (in men's minds) message than their counterparts. They tend to turn more heads with a short skirt, boldness, aggressiveness, ect. "Innocent" tends to be more shy, demure, coy, ect. They tend to be less obvious and many men may feel they are not as approachable so they tend to receive less direct attention. Its a stereotype that you are supposed to be more gentle with "innocent" women and more aggressive with "not so innocent" women. I think this is probably why it may seem that "hot" women get more attention.

I disagree. It's really more of a physical characteristic. To somewhat oversimplify, cute=nice face, hot=nice body.