What is the Electric Field in a Hollow Sphere with a Point Charge at the Center?

In summary, the problem involves a hollow sphere with a net positive charge and a negative point charge placed at the center. For parts i and ii, the electric field is zero due to the conductor's ability to redistribute charge. For part iii, the electric field can be calculated using the formula E = (-2q)/(4pi * epsilon not * r^2).
reising1

Homework Statement

Consider a conductor in the shape of a hollow sphere with inner radius A and outer radius B. The sphere has a net positive charge +q.

A negative point charge of value -2q is placed at the center of the sphere (r=0). Determine the electric field in the three regions of space:
i) r < A
ii) A < r < B
iii) r > B

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a conductor, I thought part (i) and (ii) both have 0 Electric Field because the charge on the inside of the sphere will move to the surface, since this is a conductor.

But this is wrong. I need some help here.

Physics news on Phys.org
reising1 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a conductor in the shape of a hollow sphere with inner radius A and outer radius B. The sphere has a net positive charge +q.

A negative point charge of value -2q is placed at the center of the sphere (r=0). Determine the electric field in the three regions of space:
i) r < A
ii) A < r < B
iii) r > B

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a conductor, I thought part (i) and (ii) both have 0 Electric Field because the charge on the inside of the sphere will move to the surface, since this is a conductor.

But this is wrong. I need some help here.

There is charge placed in the center of the hollow sphere.

Yes, but since it is a conductor, would the charge not immediately move to the inner surface, thus giving no charge on the inside of the conductor?

reising1 said:
Yes, but since it is a conductor, would the charge not immediately move to the inner surface, thus giving no charge on the inside of the conductor?

we're dealing with electrostatics here - statics as in not moving. But even if you wanted to think of charge as moving, the point charge is placed inside of a conductor - and you've already told me the E-field inside of a conductor is zero. From where would the force to move it come from?

Okay, I understand. So in terms of electrostatics, the answer to part i would be
E = (-2q)/(4pi * epsilon not * r^2)

Now how would I approach part (ii)

reising1 said:
Okay, I understand. So in terms of electrostatics, the answer to part i would be
E = (-2q)/(4pi * epsilon not * r^2)

Now how would I approach part (ii)

Well, in part two it asks for the E-field inside of a solid piece of metal. If there were any E-field, a current would flow to transport the charge until the E-field ceased. Therefore, I'd conclude it to be zero. I could be wrong here, however.

1. What is a conducting hollow sphere?

A conducting hollow sphere is a spherical shell made of a conductive material, such as metal. It is a common object used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and electromagnetism.

2. How does a conducting hollow sphere work?

A conducting hollow sphere works by allowing electric charges to distribute themselves evenly on its surface, creating a uniform electric field inside the sphere. This is known as electrostatic shielding and is essential in many applications, such as protecting sensitive electronic equipment from external electric fields.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a conducting hollow sphere?

The behavior of a conducting hollow sphere is affected by its size, shape, and material. The electric field inside the sphere depends on its charge, while the potential on the surface depends on the charge and the distance from the center of the sphere.

4. How is a conducting hollow sphere different from a solid conducting sphere?

A conducting hollow sphere differs from a solid conducting sphere in that the electric field inside a hollow sphere is zero while the electric field inside a solid sphere is not. This is because the charges on the surface of a solid sphere are not evenly distributed, unlike in a hollow sphere where they are evenly distributed on the surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of conducting hollow spheres?

Conducting hollow spheres have various real-world applications, such as in electrostatic shielding, where they are used to protect electronic equipment from external electric fields. They are also used in particle accelerators and in electrostatic generators to create high voltages. In addition, conducting hollow spheres are commonly used in physics demonstrations and experiments to illustrate various concepts in electromagnetism.