What Motor Can Handle 200kg on a 15-Degree Incline?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an electric wheelchair with a maximum load capacity of 200kg and the need for two small motors with a maximum torque requirement of 28.5Nm each. One participant suggests using series-wound DC motors for their high starting torque and maximum speed. The other participant thanks for the advice and mentions Lynch motors as a good option.
melanie_new
Heya,

Well...I am making/designing an electric wheelchair which should be able to move a maximum load capacity of 200kg. The worst case scenario is the chair is fully loaded and going up an ambulance ramp of incline 15degrees.

I've decided to have two small motors for two wheels.

I find the maximum torque requirements from my specs to be 28.5Nm required from each motor! I know I can apply a gearing ratio to cut this down. My maximum wheel velocity has to be 1600RPM. Can anyone suggest how I can find a electric motor that meets these specs that's also light! I was thinking of a brushless permanent magnet DC motor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

x

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi melanie_new,
Well we used some motors from scrap in one of our projects. 200kg is pretty heavy load and in your case i think you'll need high starting torque and max. speed . So this calls for a series-wound DC motor. Though it's size is very big they can be properly adjusted and clamped to get the desired results. one motor of this type can weigh upto 7kg max. Approx. specifications are:
torque at 7500rpm is 19.6 Nm and if reduced by half you would get the desired torque of 38 Nm approx. at a speed of 3000 rpm,is that ok?

Hey thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Nope, lynch motors are good.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an electric motor?

The most important factors to consider when choosing an electric motor are the power requirements, speed and torque requirements, size and weight limitations, and the type of application the motor will be used for. It is also important to consider the efficiency, reliability, and cost of the motor.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC motors?

AC motors use alternating current and are typically used for high power applications, while DC motors use direct current and are better suited for lower power applications. AC motors are generally more efficient and have a longer lifespan, but DC motors are easier to control and can provide more precise speed and torque control.

3. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my application?

The motor size is determined by the power requirements of the application. This can be calculated by multiplying the required torque by the speed at which the motor needs to operate. It is important to also consider the starting torque and the load variations of the application when selecting a motor size.

4. What is the significance of motor efficiency?

Motor efficiency is a measure of how much of the input energy is converted into useful output energy. A more efficient motor will consume less energy and produce less heat, resulting in lower operating costs and a longer lifespan. It is important to choose a motor with a high efficiency to reduce energy consumption and save money in the long run.

5. How do I ensure the reliability of the chosen motor?

To ensure the reliability of the chosen motor, it is important to consider the quality and reputation of the manufacturer, as well as the motor's operating conditions and maintenance requirements. It is also recommended to consult with a knowledgeable expert or refer to industry standards and guidelines to make an informed decision.