Double variable equation- how to solve?

• Thread starter BR24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation was about an equation (36^x=9(32^y)) that the speaker encountered and was curious about how to solve it. They were told that by taking logs on both sides, they can get a linear relationship between x and y. However, there is not one specific answer to the equation, but rather infinitely many. The values of x and y can be any real numbers and there are no restrictions. There is a general relation between x and y given by mathman, which is a linear relationship.
BR24
ran into this equation and wondering how to solve it. currently doing pre calculus in high school and don't think i have learned this yet but i was curious as to how to solve it and the answer. 36^x=9(32^y). any help and if you have advice on how to do this could you list the answer below so i can verify i am doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get a linear relationship between x and y by taking logs on both sides.
x*log(36)=log(9)+y*log(32) (* means multiply)

i follow how you managed to get that far, although i forgot to mention but i am supposed to find the values of x and y.

BR24 said:
i follow how you managed to get that far, although i forgot to mention but i am supposed to find the values of x and y.

There is not really one answer, but rather infinitely many. It's like asking for THE solution to x+y=10. I could choose x=1 and y=9, or x=2 and y=8 or many others. Similarly in your case for any real number which you want x to be you can find a value of y such that your equation is satisfied (use the approach given by mathman). The same can be done if you have a specific value for y. For instance if I want y=1, then I let x=(log(9)+log(32))/log(36) and have one answer. One the other hand I might want y=2 and then I let x=(log(9)+2log(32))/log(36) and this is another valid answer.

Normally a good rule of thumb is that if you have n unknowns, then you need n equations to solve for the unknowns (this doesn't always hold true, but it's true in a lot of simple cases).

so, if i wanted to state the values of x and y, would this look correct.
x belongs to real numbers.
y belongs to real numbers.

are there any restrictions i would encounter in this, or would the above description be fitting. x and y do not have to be > 0 or anything along those lines right?

is there any common pattern between x and y? just as an example, something along the lines of x= 2y or something along those lines? curious as to how defined an answer i can get.

BR24 said:
so, if i wanted to state the values of x and y, would this look correct.
x belongs to real numbers.
y belongs to real numbers.

are there any restrictions i would encounter in this, or would the above description be fitting. x and y do not have to be > 0 or anything along those lines right?

is there any common pattern between x and y? just as an example, something along the lines of x= 2y or something along those lines? curious as to how defined an answer i can get.

It's easy to see that not any pair (x,y) of real numbers will work as you can just try x=y=0 which would give 1=9 which is false. The general relation is the one given by mathman. Both sides of the equation are positive so you can take the logarithm to get mathman's equation. In the same way any two numbers satisfying mathman's equation will satisfy your equation because the logarithm is injective (i.e. log(a)=log(b) if and only if a=b). x and y do not have to be positive.

Mathman provided you with the relation:
[tex]x=\frac{\log(9)}{\log(36)}+\frac{\log(32)}{\log(36)}y[/tex]
which is a linear relationship and as simple as you get.

You could of course change the base of the logs and such, but the equation is simplified enough.

1. What is a double variable equation?

A double variable equation is an equation that contains two variables, usually represented by letters such as x and y. These variables are unknown quantities that we are trying to solve for.

2. How do you solve a double variable equation?

To solve a double variable equation, we need to find the values of the two variables that make the equation true. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

3. What is the importance of solving double variable equations?

Solving double variable equations is important in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to find the relationship between two variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a double variable equation?

Sure, for example, let's say we have the equation 2x + 3y = 10. To solve for x and y, we can use substitution by rearranging the equation to get x = (10 - 3y)/2. Then, we can plug in different values for y and solve for x. For instance, when y = 1, x = 3. When y = 2, x = 2, and so on.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving double variable equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation when simplifying. Another mistake is mixing up the order of operations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to check the final solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies both variables.