Dynamics of a Rolling Wheel on a Sliding Platform

In summary, the question involves a system consisting of a disk and a bar welded together, with one end fixed and the other end rolling on a horizontal plate that slides on a plane. The constraints of the system include the disk's angular velocity dotted with b2, the velocity of point O to O' being zero, and the velocity of the plate dotted with b3 being zero. The last constraint is obtained by considering the kinematics of the plate and relating the velocity of the disk at point C to the linear velocity components of the plate. This results in a total of 6 constraints and the system has 3 degrees of freedom.
john87
Hi, I have a problem that I am working on and I am running into some questions.

The question states (the image is attached):
This system consists of the disk D and the bar B that is welded at point Q.
The other end of this bar is fixed at point O. Assume that the disk rolls on the
thin horizontal plate P supporting it. This plate in turn slides over the plane.
Determine the constraints, discuss the nature of them, and also determine the
number of degrees of freedom of the system.

This is what I have so far for constraints:

1) omega of disk dotted with b2 is zero (1-constraint)
2) velocity of point O to O' is zero: therefore, velocities of x0 = 0, y0=0, z0=0 (3-constraints)
3) for the plate: Velocity of plate dotted with b3 is 0 (1-constraint)

Then I also said the velocity of the plate at C' is equal to the velocity of the disk at C. So, velocity from Q to C is R*thetadot in b2 direction. I know this relationship, but I am not sure how to go about the kinematics of the plate and then set that equal to the velocity of the disk at C to get another constraint. I know that the plate has 2 degrees of freedom, and the disc has 1 degree of freedom.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Dynamics of Wheel.JPG
    Dynamics of Wheel.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 503
Engineering news on Phys.org
To answer your question, the last constraint is obtained by considering the kinematics of the plate. Since the plate is sliding on a plane, its motion can be described in terms of its linear velocity components vx and vy along the x- and y-axes, respectively. The velocity of the disk at point C can then be related to these two velocities as follows: velocity of disk at C = vx b1 + vy b2. Therefore, the last constraint can be written as: velocity of disk at C = velocity of plate at C'. This gives you a total of 6 constraints and the system has 3 degrees of freedom.

1. How does the weight of the wheel affect its motion on a sliding platform?

The weight of the wheel does not have a significant impact on its motion on a sliding platform. This is because the wheel's weight is evenly distributed along its circumference, resulting in a balanced force that does not affect its speed or direction of motion.

2. What is the relationship between the diameter of the wheel and its speed on a sliding platform?

The diameter of the wheel has a direct impact on its speed on a sliding platform. A larger diameter will result in a higher speed due to the increased distance traveled with each revolution. Conversely, a smaller diameter will result in a slower speed.

3. How does friction play a role in the dynamics of a rolling wheel on a sliding platform?

Friction plays a crucial role in the dynamics of a rolling wheel on a sliding platform. It is the force that opposes the motion of the wheel and causes it to slow down. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the platform and the material of the wheel. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower speed.

4. Can the shape of the wheel affect its motion on a sliding platform?

Yes, the shape of the wheel can affect its motion on a sliding platform. A wheel with a larger surface area, such as a wider tire, will result in more friction and a slower speed. On the other hand, a wheel with a smaller surface area, such as a narrower tire, will result in less friction and a faster speed.

5. How does the angle of the platform affect the dynamics of a rolling wheel?

The angle of the platform can have a significant impact on the dynamics of a rolling wheel. A steeper angle will result in a greater force of gravity acting on the wheel, causing it to accelerate faster. On the other hand, a shallower angle will result in less force and a slower acceleration. Additionally, a steeper angle may also increase the potential for the wheel to slip or lose traction on the platform.