Help my friend run for Crohn's Disease

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Nadia was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year and has since become motivated and inspired to battle the disease. She has booked a spot to run in the Rock n Roll half marathon to raise funds and awareness for
My friend Nadia was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year. Instead of hiding and just taking it, she has become a motivated and inspiring person willing to battle and find a cure. She has booked a spot to run in the Rock n Roll half marathon to raise funds and awareness for Crohn's Disease which has no current cure.

I almost never make announcements like this, but she really is an inspiring person and I'd like to do what I can to support her and her cause.

Please consider making a contribution to her fund raising page located here:
ActiveGiving.com Donations

Anyone who donates $10 or greater I will give you 1 year gold membership here. If you already have gold access, then I will promote a member of your choosing to gold. If you donate $20 or greater I will do that same but give you 5 year. Just send me a PM with your full name, so I can check and then the member name you want promoted. THANKS SO MUCH! o:) :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a friend who has been dealing with Chron's for a very long time. This is a great cause. If you are not aware of Chron's, check into it. It is a disease that hits young and old. And it is life altering and life threatening.

My friend ends up in the hosipital for months.

I would love to help, but I don't have a credit card and I don't live in the US so $10 is $60.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I was myself diagnosed with Crohn's disease 2 years ago and while I'm doing pretty good right now I had one year of almost constant pain and lots of trips to the hospital. I was finishing senior year of high school at the time which was pretty though but luckily my school was understanding with me being absent from most classes as long as I did the homework and kept up my grades.

Anyway I donated $35 (to make the current total a nice $400) and hope other people will donate as well.

My uncle died from Crohn's. Count me in. Good luck to your friend.

Thanks everyone! Nadia is so thankful for the messages of encouragement and the donations!

It's very nice that she is actively raising money toward a possible cure - I have a distant relative with Crohn's and it makes his life miserable. It came on not long after he married and had a little girl, so it complicates the lives of his loved ones, too. Thank you Nadia!

Tell Nadia I hope she has to die her hair. Looks like she is doing pretty good. I will spread this around the paratrooper community next month when I have my meeting.

And my vote is for orange with black stripes. ( like the bengels pattern ).

airborne18 said:
Tell Nadia I hope she has to die her hair.

I will do everything in my power to make that happen :D

Good luck and best wishes.

Dear Greg Bernhardt,
My name is Reza and I live in iran! I'm atheist and I am not a brain washed man at all. I do love the US and I do respect the Americans and all the good people. We have no credit cards, paypal, western union, ... in iran. I had wanted to donate $ 30 USD to the MIT OCW project before, but I couldn't. I'm ready to donate $ 30 USD but I don't know how to do it! If you know a way, please let me know. And we are under sanctions and I have heard that it is impossible for us in iran to use credit cards!
Your fabulous website Physics Forums is really great. You are all wonderful people. At the moment that I'm writing this to you, because of political reasons all of the websites in iran are blocked by the stupid gov! gmail, yahoo, any news websites are blocked and we always have to use anti filter software to read the news on the internet! But if there is a way for me to send you the money please let me know.
Long live USA, long live science, long live humanity ... . I do know that I owe you a lot and I wish to be able to help. Most of the good things that I have learned so far are from the American websites such as this one and MIT OCW and a lot of more websites. In iran they always teach us to hate and take revenge. I don't think if I have learned any good things from the iranians.

Greg,
Now that I have a job I may be able to help.

My wife has Crohn's disease. She suffered terribly it through out her childhood. She was finally correctly diagnosed in her mid 20's. At that time she was given an oral tracer (Barium?), they rushed her to surgery after losing track of it in her intestinal tract. It seems that she had developed several fistulas which by passed large section of the small intestine. In surgery they removed long sections of small intestine and but it all back together correctly. She is very lucky that noting opened into her abdominal cavity, people die when that happens. She is now healthy and well but must be very careful of what she eats. Her diet is not one that most people would consider healthy, she has trouble with fiber and seeds. We call her the salad shooter.

Crohn's disease is one of the HLA B27 diseases. I also have HLA B27, although it's manifestation in my case is a severe form of ankylosing spondylitis, which has recently gotten very nasty (spread to my upper spine.)

Unfortunately, auto-immune diseases seem to be on the rise tremendously in developed countries.

rado5 said:
……… In Iran they always teach us to hate and take revenge. I don't think if I have learned any good things from the Iranians.

Don’t you see you’re being extra bold against them, it is offensive on many levels!... Heh, what would I expect from an atheist!*

And by the way, you’re not showing a disrespect to your people as much as you do to yourself! [advice: quit generalizing, it only shows your limited mind.] IMO, if one has lived so long in any place where the people within share absolutely nothing with him/her and couldn’t seek a common ground, it’s then that one’s fault not theirs, he/she should leave, and if you really feel/care for others across the globe, then a fortiori, you should do so for those next door!

Sorry, I don’t want to sabotage this thread, it’s devoted for good deeds as you can see! But if you have anything other to say, you can create a new thread.

* How do you like that?

Edit: I’d like to elaborate on what I just said, I thought I was clear by showing the same level of disrespect toward others [that’s why I ask ‘how do you like that?’]. What I’m trying to say to the OP is 'don't throw words like that around lightly', it’s clearly not how things work, and it does hurt, one should criticize the action not the person, and not the people as a whole. Personally, I’ve learned to respect every single life regardless of his/her religion/belief/affiliation as long as he/she’s not harming others, people are meant to be different, one need to learn to accept and coexist. I apologize if any of you get this wrong.

Last edited:

drizzle said:
Don’t you see you’re being extra bold against them, it is offensive on many levels!... Heh, what would I expect from an atheist!*

And by the way, you’re not showing a disrespect to your people as much as you do to yourself! [advice: quit generalizing, it only shows your limited mind.] IMO, if one has lived so long in any place where the people within share absolutely nothing with him/her and couldn’t seek a common ground, it’s then that one’s fault not theirs, he/she should leave, and if you really feel/care for others across the globe, then a fortiori, you should do so for those next door!

Sorry, I don’t want to sabotage this thread, it’s devoted for good deeds as you can see! But if you have anything other to say, you can create a new thread.

* How do you like that?

Edit: I’d like to elaborate on what I just said, I thought I was clear by showing the same level of disrespect toward others [that’s why I ask ‘how do you like that?’]. What I’m trying to say to the OP is 'don't throw words like that around lightly', it’s clearly not how things work, and it does hurt, one should criticize the action not the person, and not the people as a whole. Personally, I’ve learned to respect every single life regardless of his/her religion/belief/affiliation as long as he/she’s not harming others, people are meant to be different, one need to learn to accept and coexist. I apologize if any of you get this wrong.

I can understand though, sometimes things don't come out so nice if, you know, you've never been able to say them before without fear of getting shot.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If you donate $20 or greater I will do that same but give you 5 year. Just send me a PM with your full name, so I can check and then the member name you want promoted. THANKS SO MUCH! o:) :smile:

You're going to go broke with all these sales. I was tempted to donate the full $110 to get to hair lopping level, but chickened out. But you can sign me up for 5 more years. Yippie! And all for less than for a month of cable. I can't believe you don't have 100,000 new gold members with a deal like this.

And of course, tell Nadia hello for us.

:smile:

OmCheeto said:
I was tempted to donate the full $110 to get to hair lopping level, but chickened out.

No worries, she has reached that level! Nadia indicated to me that she is getting her hair cut tonight! Maybe she will let me post a photo :) Now we just need to get to the hair dying level :D THANKS EVERYONE!

Make a Facebook fan page/group. That will increase donations tremendously.

Greg Bernhardt said:
No worries, she has reached that level! Nadia indicated to me that she is getting her hair cut tonight! Maybe she will let me post a photo :) Now we just need to get to the hair dying level :D THANKS EVERYONE!

Did you mention my idea for Black and Orange tiger pattern for the hair dye?

airborne18 said:
Did you mention my idea for Black and Orange tiger pattern for the hair dye?

She got her hair chopped off last week. Now the goal is for the hair dye, it's going to be tough, but we can do it!

Count me in as well. Good luck to her and those amazing accomplishments!

rado5 said:
because of political reasons all of the websites in iran are blocked by the stupid gov! gmail, yahoo, any news websites are blocked and we always have to use anti filter software to read the news on the internet!

Are you familiar with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am so sorry to hear this

Greg, I understand and appreciate charities (and in fact had my head shaved for one a few years back). Unfortunately, my being on Social Assistance (Welfare in the US) precludes me contributing financially. Please, though, pass on my best regards to your friend. Every step that she takes is one in the right direction.

Hope we will reach the goal ($3,400) soon!
I donated $25 yesterday.
Good luck!

I don't have a card (not old enough) and can't donate but I would like to say good luck, and encorage you to do what someone previously posted and make a FaceBook page or group.

physicsworks said:
Hope we will reach the goal ($3,400) soon!
I donated $25 yesterday.
Good luck!

Thanks physicsworks!

gagneana000 said:
I don't have a card (not old enough) and can't donate but I would like to say good luck, and encorage you to do what someone previously posted and make a FaceBook page or group.

Thanks gagneana000! I shall pass the message to Nadia!

Best wishes for nadia!:smile:

//

My username's turned into gold, does it have any relation with this thread?:blushing:

Lisa! said:
Best wishes for nadia!:smile:

//

My username's turned into gold, does it have any relation with this thread?:blushing:
Yes, it does. :smile:

Evo said:
Yes, it does. :smile:

Wow!Thanks!:smile:
I wish I knew who has done that...:redface:

Lisa! said:
Wow!Thanks!:smile:
I wish I knew who has done that...:redface:

Twas not me.

But if I'd known it could be done, I'd surely have donated more.

How much do I have contribute to give someone a ten year membership?

:smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nadia's run is this weekend!

I'm still in the same situation; can't give away taxpayer money. In fact, I feel guilty about using it for my own needs. If I were capable of working and earning income, I would certainly contribute.
In lieu of financial tributes, please pass on to Nadia my hopes for a successful journey.

1. What is Crohn's Disease?

Crohn's Disease is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that affects the digestive system. It can cause inflammation, ulcers, and other complications in the digestive tract, leading to symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight loss.

2. How can I help my friend run for Crohn's Disease?

There are several ways you can help your friend run for Crohn's Disease. You can offer emotional support, help them with fundraising efforts, spread awareness about the disease, and participate in events or races with them to show your support.

3. What are some common treatments for Crohn's Disease?

Treatments for Crohn's Disease may include medications to reduce inflammation, manage symptoms, and prevent flare-ups. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove damaged portions of the digestive tract.

4. Is there a cure for Crohn's Disease?

Currently, there is no known cure for Crohn's Disease. However, with proper treatment and management, many people with the disease are able to lead healthy and active lives.

5. How can I get involved in raising awareness and funds for Crohn's Disease?

There are many ways to get involved in raising awareness and funds for Crohn's Disease. You can participate in events and races, volunteer with organizations that support research and education about the disease, or organize your own fundraising efforts. You can also spread awareness by educating others about Crohn's Disease and its impact on those who live with it.