Discover Reliable Information on Eductors for Fluid Dynamics Calculations

• Thread starter chris major
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the conversation is seeking recommendations for a reliable source of information about eductors and calculating the size of a venturi and jets needed to induce a steam flow. The person also wants to calculate the pressure differential and explore the possibility of condensing steam through the venturi using cool water. They mention Bernoulli's principle and equation as potential starting points and hope someone can provide helpful information.
chris major
Can anyone recommend a reliable source of information about eductors? I want to be able to calculate the size of the venturi and jets that I would need to induce a steam flow through the venturi with jets of water (water would be atomised through the jets). I also want to calculate the pressure differential I could create. I haven't found any information on condensing the steam through the venturi by using relatively cool water through the jets, I expect that the pressure changes interfere with the condensation process (i also think a strategically placed port from the reservoir would allow an equalisation of pressure to prevent the condensate boiling as the pressure drops) but it would be great if someone could point to some reliable information. hope someone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's principle could be a start. And Bernoulli's equation .

1. What is a fluid dynamics-eductor?

A fluid dynamics-eductor, also known as an eductor pump or jet pump, is a type of device that uses the principle of fluid dynamics to pump or mix fluids. It works by utilizing the energy of a high-velocity fluid stream to create a low-pressure region, which then draws in and entrains the surrounding fluid.

2. How does a fluid dynamics-eductor work?

A fluid dynamics-eductor works by using a nozzle to create a high-velocity fluid stream, which then enters a venturi section that leads into a mixing chamber. The velocity of the fluid stream decreases in the venturi section, creating a low-pressure region that draws in fluid from the surrounding area. This entrained fluid is then mixed with the high-velocity stream in the mixing chamber, resulting in a combined fluid with increased velocity and pressure.

3. What are the applications of fluid dynamics-eductors?

Fluid dynamics-eductors have a wide range of applications, including pumping and mixing of fluids, aeration of liquids, and suction of solids or sludge. They are commonly used in industries such as wastewater treatment, chemical processing, and agriculture.

4. What are the advantages of using fluid dynamics-eductors?

There are several advantages to using fluid dynamics-eductors. They are simple and compact in design, require little maintenance, and have no moving parts, making them reliable and cost-effective. They also do not require electricity to operate, making them suitable for use in remote or hazardous environments.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a fluid dynamics-eductor?

When selecting a fluid dynamics-eductor, factors such as the required flow rate, pressure, and fluid properties should be considered. The size and type of nozzle, as well as the design of the venturi and mixing chamber, can also affect the performance of the eductor. It is important to choose an eductor that is suitable for the specific application and meets the required specifications.