Set Up Dual Line Bench Power Supply For Op Amp Testing

In summary, the conversation discusses using a single rail +30V power supply to test an op-amp running at +/- 15v. The solution is to generate a virtual ground by applying +30V Vcc DC power and using the op-amp's output as a reference for the rest of the circuit.
MathsDude69
This is a very silly question. I can't believe I have forgotten. I have a 30v bench power supply and I am looking to test an op-amp running at +/- 15v. I have a supply which has a negative output/ positive output and inbetween a green common/earth output. How do I wire them to produce the +/- 15v rather than just the full 30v?

Engineering news on Phys.org
From your description, you just have single rail +30V power supply. But there is a simple way to power op-amps from a single rail by generating a virtual ground. Consider the circuit:

VirtualGround.gif

Apply +30V Vcc DC power, and the output of the op-amp will serve as a virtual ground to be used for the rest of your circuit which is now going to be referenced between +15/-15 volts.

Last edited:

What is a dual line bench power supply?

A dual line bench power supply is a piece of equipment that provides a constant and adjustable electrical power supply to electronic devices. It has two separate outputs, which allows for multiple devices to be powered simultaneously.

Why is it important to set up a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing?

Op amps require a stable and precise power supply in order to function properly. A dual line bench power supply allows for independent control of the positive and negative power supplies, ensuring optimal performance of the op amp during testing.

How do I set up a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing?

To set up a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing, you will need to connect the positive output of the power supply to the op amp's positive power input, and the negative output to the op amp's negative power input. Make sure to adjust the voltage and current settings on the power supply according to the op amp's specifications.

What should I consider when choosing a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing?

When choosing a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing, it is important to consider the voltage and current output capabilities, as well as the precision and stability of the power supply. It is also important to ensure that the power supply is suitable for the specific op amp being tested.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a dual line bench power supply for op amp testing. Make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions carefully before use. Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses. Be careful not to short circuit the power supply, and do not exceed the maximum voltage or current ratings. It is also important to disconnect the power supply when making any adjustments or connections to ensure safety.