Belt tension using bending and shear stresses

In summary, the maximum belt tension is 14.73 kNm if the stress in the shaft is not to exceed 150MPa.
kaminho
Well I know I need to plot Mohr's circle for this, but what are the things i need to do before reaching that stage.here is the question:
A 250mm diameter pulley is mounted on a 50mm diameter shaft at a distance of 200mm from a ball bearing. If the belt tension ratio is 3 to 1 determine the maximum belt tension if the stress in the shaft is not to exceed 150MPa.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram and balance your forces.

you need to incorporate the fatigue factor as well .

mawais15 said:
you need to incorporate the fatigue factor as well .

well at this stage I'm ignoring fatigue. i have to do it by finding the shear stress and bending stress and the mohr's circle eventually. but what i need is how can i find those two stresses using bending theory and torsion theory. I know for one that the torque in the pulley is (3p-p).(r) or 2p.D/2 = pD (D is diameter). but I am stuck here.

you can use Euler's theory for finding those stresses

kaminho said:
well at this stage I'm ignoring fatigue. i have to do it by finding the shear stress and bending stress and the mohr's circle eventually. but what i need is how can i find those two stresses using bending theory and torsion theory. I know for one that the torque in the pulley is (3p-p).(r) or 2p.D/2 = pD (D is diameter). but I am stuck here.

Hello there kaminho,

You know that both torsion and bending is taking place.

You rightfully got the torque at T=pD.

These equations should be in your relevant equations:

[tex]\frac{M}{I} = \frac{\sigma}{y} = \frac{E}{R}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T}{J} = \frac{\tau}{r} = \frac{G \theta}{L}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{1,2} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2} \pm \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(\sigma_x - \sigma_y)^2+4\tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

Since you have T, you can compute τ using the above formula. Similarly, you will need to get the bending moment M.

What would be the resultant force acting on the end of the shaft due to the tensions?

rock.freak667 said:
Hello there kaminho,

[tex]\sigma_{1,2} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2} \pm \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(\sigma_x - \sigma_y)^2+4\tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

Since you have T, you can compute τ using the above formula. Similarly, you will need to get the bending moment M.

What would be the resultant force acting on the end of the shaft due to the tensions?

Thank you,
I think one of the things I'm unsure about is whether that 150MPa (in the question) is bending stress or shear stress. assuming its shear, I used the equation:
I first worked out J=[tex]\pi[/tex]d^4/32 = [tex]\pi[/tex]0.05^4/32 = 6.136 x 10^-7 m^4
so
[tex]\frac{0.25P}{6.136x10^-7} = \frac{\150x10^6}{0.025} which gives P=14.73 kN

if I'm right upto here, then I think Bending moment will be:
BM= (4P)(0.2) = (4 x 14.73 x 10^3)(0.2) = 11.78 kNm

now i have not used the first equation you mentioned and so I think I'm missing something. also I'm not sure about the answer to the last part of your qoute. Is it 4P ?

rock.freak667 said:
Hello there kaminho,

I think i made an awful mistake in my previous post. As [tex]\tau[/tex] is needed, it can not be the 150MPa in the question. Let me ask it this way. In equation:
what are the unknowns? because i guess M (bending moment) is (4P)(0.2) and I (second moment of area) for the shaft can be calculated using (pi)(d^4)/64 where d=50mm. now is [tex]\sigma[/tex] =150MPa or is it to be found? and is y=d/2=25 mm (because i think its the distance to neutral axis of the shaft). but if these are correct then P can be easily found which i sense its not right. or should i be getting a [tex]\sigma[/tex] value in terms of P (tension) ?
and to find [tex]\tau[/tex] using torsion theory, i guess i had the J value right (in my previous post) therefore i will get a value for [tex]\tau[/tex] in terms of P (tension). Am I in the right direction? Thank you.

kaminho: The unknown is P; and y = 25 mm. Notice sigma_1 is the last equation in post 6. I think sigma_1 = 150 MPa. And sigma in the bending stress equation, above, is sigma_x in the last equation of post 6. Also, sigma_y = 0 in the last equation of post 6. Try again.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 200 mm, not 200mm. And 150 MPa, not 150MPa. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

nvn said:
kaminho: The unknown is P; and y = 25 mm. Notice sigma_1 is the last equation in post 6. I think sigma_1 = 150 MPa. And sigma in the bending stress equation, above, is sigma_x in the last equation of post 6. Also, sigma_y = 0 in the last equation of post 6.

In addition to this, the [itex]\tau[/itex] you get from the torsion theory is the [itex]\tau_{xy}[/itex] in the last equation.

rock.freak667 said:
In addition to this, the [itex]\tau[/itex] you get from the torsion theory is the [itex]\tau_{xy}[/itex] in the last equation.
I get:
I for shaft = (pi)(d^4)/64 = (pi) (0.05^4)/64 = 3.07 x 10^-7 m^4
[tex]\sigma[/tex]= My/I = (4P x 0.2)(0.025) / (3.07 x 10^-7) = 65147P Pa
(so this is my sigma x in last equation)

for torsion equation:
J= (pi)(d^4)/32 = 6.136 x 10^-7 m^4 (i used shaft's diameter i.e. 50 mm)
T/J = [tex]\tau[/tex]/r so 0.25P/(6.136 x 10^-7) = [tex]\tau[/tex]/ 0.025 so [tex]\tau[/tex]= 10190P Pa (here for torque i used pulley's diameter of 250 mm. i think the torque in the pulley and the shaft is the same though)

so will the last equation be looking like:
150 x 10^6 = 65147P/2 ± (0.5)sqrt((65147P)^2+ 4(10190P)^2 ? i took sigma y = 0
however it does not seem to have a solution?

Yes, that is algebra. Go ahead and solve it. For the +/- sign, use the plus sign; ignore the minus sign.

kaminho said:
so will the last equation be looking like:
150 x 10^6 = 65147P/2 ± (0.5)sqrt((65147P)^2+ 4(10190P)^2 ? i took sigma y = 0
however it does not seem to have a solution?

you would set σ1des=150 MPa

such that

150(106) = 65147P/2 + (0.5)√[((65147P)2+ 4(10190P)2]

you would get a solution since the √ will give you something like 150(106)= 65147P/2 + 0.5(<some number>*P) in which you can then solve for P.

Thank you rock.freak667 and nvn.
I'm getting P=2.25 kN...
cheers.

1. What is belt tension and why is it important in engineering?

Belt tension refers to the amount of force applied to a belt in a system. It is important in engineering because it affects the performance and efficiency of the system, as well as the longevity of the belt and other components.

2. What are bending and shear stresses and how do they relate to belt tension?

Bending stress is the stress that occurs when a belt is bent around pulleys or other objects in the system. Shear stress is the stress that occurs when forces are applied parallel to the surface of the belt. These stresses are important in determining the amount of force and tension that a belt can handle.

3. How is belt tension calculated using bending and shear stresses?

Belt tension can be calculated using the equations for bending and shear stresses, as well as the material properties of the belt. The exact calculation may vary depending on the specific system and application.

4. What factors can affect belt tension in a system?

There are several factors that can affect belt tension, including the type and material of the belt, the size and shape of pulleys, the distance between pulleys, and the amount of force applied to the belt.

5. How can belt tension be adjusted in a system?

Belt tension can be adjusted by changing the position of pulleys, using tensioners or idlers, or adjusting the amount of force applied to the belt. It is important to carefully consider the effects of these adjustments on the overall system and to ensure that the belt tension falls within the recommended range for optimal performance.