Calculate velocity when time is equal

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary velocity for a ball to hit an object 12m away and 8m above its initial height. The formula V=d/t is mentioned and the angle can be found using tan^-1= (8/12) = 33.69 degrees. The concept of projectile motion and the use of kinematic equations for horizontal and vertical displacement are also mentioned. The speaker suggests learning the basics of projectile motion before proceeding.
PhysicsAdvice
1. Ball is thrown at an object that is 12m away and 8m above the initial height of the ball. At what velocity must the ball be thrown to hit the object?
2. V=d/t
3. You can find the angle at which the ball must be thrown by using tan^-1= (8/12)= 33.69 degrees, not sure if that helps much. Vx=12m/t, vy=8m/t, so at what velocity will the time be equal? Do i have enough info...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vx=12mxt, vy=8mxt,

v = d/t. How did you write the above equations? The angle also not correct.

It is a projectile motion.

You have to consider the components of velocity along the horizontal and vertical direction. Then use the kinematic equations for horizontal and vertical displacement.

yes, ok so for the horizontal velocity its velocity horizontal=displacement horizontal / time. then for velocity vertical = displacement vertical / time, what do i do next?

First of all go through the projectile motion from any site or textbook. Learn the basic things. Then I will help you.

Ok, i know the basics but i just do not know what to do with so few givens. How can i find the velocity without time and vice versa?

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity when time is equal?

The formula for calculating velocity when time is equal is velocity = distance / time.

2. How do I determine the distance traveled when given the velocity and time?

To determine the distance traveled when given the velocity and time, you can use the formula distance = velocity x time.

3. Can velocity be negative when time is equal?

Yes, velocity can be negative when time is equal. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction.

4. What units should I use for velocity and time in the calculation?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and time is measured in seconds (s). It is important to use consistent units in the calculation to ensure accurate results.

5. Can I calculate velocity when time is equal without knowing the distance?

No, you cannot calculate velocity when time is equal without knowing the distance. The formula for velocity requires both distance and time to be known.