Pressures on fluids of mercury and water

In summary: In the question I have here , it doesn't say anything about h2 and h1. it says that Pb-Pa=P3-P1 thanks to the Communicating_vessels law.But I don't understand why.The law of communicating vessels is based on P3 and P1 being equal. That is not the case here. You will need to know the height of water above a and b. For example if there was no water above a, Pa=P1. But Pb would not be equal to P3. So Pb-Pa is not equal to P3-P1.
Cosmossos

Homework Statement

Can someone please explain to me why P3-P1=Pb-Pa?
[PLAIN]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8123/45074508.jpg
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The mercury is not moving. What does that say about the net force acting on the mercury in the horizontal part of the tube? What does that say about the sum of all the pressures at that point?

The force on a section of the mercury in the horizontal part of the tube is due to: gravity and P1 and P3. How is the net gravitational force related to the difference in height of the two columns?

AM

The forces are zero.
I know how to claculate Pb-Pa , but I don't know how it is connected with P3-P1 since the heights are different.

In looking at this again, Pa-Pb = P3-P1 only if the heights of water above a and b are the same. It depends on the difference in height of water between the right and left sides. Let h1 be the height of water at b and h2 the height of water at a. Pa and Pb are the downward pressures at a and b.

[tex]P_b =P_3 + \rho_wgh_1[/tex][tex]P_a =P_1 + \rho_wgh_2[/tex]

Subtracting:

[tex]P_a - P_b = P_1 - P_3 +\rho_wg(h_2-h_1)[/tex]AM

Last edited:

In the question I have here , it doesn't say anything about h2 and h1. it says that Pb-Pa=P3-P1 thanks to the Communicating_vessels law.But I don't understand why.

Cosmossos said:
In the question I have here , it doesn't say anything about h2 and h1. it says that Pb-Pa=P3-P1 thanks to the Communicating_vessels law.But I don't understand why.
The law of communicating vessels is based on P3 and P1 being equal. That is not the case here. You will need to know the height of water above a and b. For example if there was no water above a, Pa=P1. But Pb would not be equal to P3. So Pb-Pa is not equal to P3-P1.

AM

1. What is the difference between the pressure on fluids of mercury and water?

The pressure on fluids of mercury and water is determined by the weight and density of the fluid, as well as the depth of the fluid. Mercury is denser than water, so it will exert a greater pressure at a given depth compared to water.

2. How does the pressure on fluids of mercury and water affect their behavior?

The pressure on fluids of mercury and water plays a crucial role in determining their behavior. This pressure is responsible for the movement and flow of fluids, as well as their ability to support objects placed on top of them.

3. How does the pressure on fluids of mercury and water change with depth?

The pressure on fluids of mercury and water increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above it. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is directly proportional to the depth of the fluid.

4. How does temperature affect the pressure on fluids of mercury and water?

Temperature can affect the pressure on fluids of mercury and water in two ways. Firstly, as temperature increases, the density of the fluid decreases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. Secondly, temperature also affects the viscosity of the fluid, which can impact its flow and behavior under pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the pressures on fluids of mercury and water?

Understanding the pressures on fluids of mercury and water is crucial in many scientific and engineering fields. It is used in the design of hydraulic systems, such as water dams and pumps, and in the study of ocean currents and tides. It also has applications in medicine, such as measuring blood pressure and understanding the flow of fluids in the human body.