Proving the Positivity of Negative Times Negative: An Algebraic Approach

• Thread starter Taturana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary, the proof for a negative number times another negative number giving a positive number lies in the distributive property and the concept of additive inverses. It can also be understood through a physical example of reversing motion. Additionally, algebraic manipulation and the assumption of non-zero values for a and b can lead to the result that the squares of both numbers are equal.
Taturana
What's the proof for a negative number times another negative number gives a positive number?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you studying the arithmetic of numbers? Or are you studying something more advanced like algebra.

If you are studying algebra, perhaps what you want to see is a proof of something like
(-x)(-y) = xy. ( Strictly speaking a number like "-x" isn't necessarily "a negative" For example if x = -3 then -x is a positive number. )

Stephen Tashi said:
Are you studying the arithmetic of numbers? Or are you studying something more advanced like algebra.

If you are studying algebra, perhaps what you want to see is a proof of something like
(-x)(-y) = xy. ( Strictly speaking a number like "-x" isn't necessarily "a negative" For example if x = -3 then -x is a positive number. )

I'm studying arithmetic of numbers. I want to understand why the product of, say, -3 for -4 is 12 and not -12.

Thanks

0 = 0 * (-4) = (-3 + 3)(-4) = (-3)(-4) + (3)(-4)

Presumably you know that 3(-4) = -12. Since (-3)(-4) + (3)(-4) = 0, (-3)(-4) and (3)(-4) must be additive inverses, which implies that (-3)(-4) = 12.

In order to prove anything, you have to start with something. What are you starting with?

Basically, it's true because we want it to be true. If we would choose something else, then things would not behave so nicely. For example, we wouldn't have distributivity.

Alternatively, if you're into geometry, then you can easily see why we want it to be true. Take a vector. Multiplying by -1 flips the vector. And multiplying again, flips the vector again. So doing -1 and -1 again gives you nothing. So (-1)(-1)=1.
Of course, this is not a proof, but merely an indication of why we want it to be true. Like many things is math, this is just a convention. But it's a convention which works really well with physics and the real world!

Isn't it just axiomatic?

Either it's axiomatic or you could use this:

(-1)*0 = (-1)(1 + -1) = (-1)(1) + (-1)(-1), so

0 = -1 + (-1)(-1), and finally 1 = (-1)(-1)

Like previous posters have said, it depends what you're allowed to use. Alot of these operations we take for granted.

Taturana said:
I'm studying arithmetic of numbers. I want to understand why the product of, say, -3 for -4 is 12 and not -12.

Thanks

Mark44 gave a good answer. I can't see your textbook, so I don' know what you have already studied from it. I have to guess what you already accept as true about numbers. The steps

0 = (0)(4) = (3 + (-3)) (-4) uses various laws of arithmetic.
The distributive law gives us:
0 = (3)(-4) + (-3)(-4)

if you accept that (3)(-4) = -12 then we have
0 = (-12) + (-3)(-4)
So (-3)(-4) is something that when added to (-12) gives you 0. So it must be the same thing as 12.

If you want physical argument instead of a mathematical one, you'd have to say something like: If I had a film of a car going 3 feet per second in the negative direction and I played it backwards for 4 seconds, then the car would appear to go 12 feet in the positive direction.

a+b=0
a=(-b)...(1)
(a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab...Simple Algebra
therefore
0=a^2+b^2+2ab...(2)
now squaring eqn no 1
can lead to 2 results
1)a^2=(-b^2)
or
2)a^2=b^2
Now put both results in Eqn second and verify!:)

Hint:a+b=0 Take a and b to be non zero and you will arrive at the result that a^2=b^2 coz if a^2=(-b^2) then in Eqn two ull find that "2ab=0" But that violates our assumption that a and b are non zero!:)

1. What is the rule for multiplying two negative numbers?

The rule for multiplying two negative numbers is that when you multiply two negative numbers, the result will always be a positive number.

2. Why is the product of two negative numbers always positive?

The product of two negative numbers is always positive because when you multiply a negative number by another negative number, you are essentially combining two opposite directions on the number line, resulting in a positive value.

3. Can you give an example of multiplying two negative numbers?

Yes, for example, if we multiply -3 by -4, the result would be 12. This is because -3 times -4 is the same as saying "negative 3 groups of negative 4", which can be represented as (-3) x (-4) = 12.

4. Does this rule apply for any two negative numbers?

Yes, this rule applies for any two negative numbers, regardless of their values. The only requirement is that both numbers must be negative in order for the product to be positive.

5. How can I use this rule in real life situations?

This rule can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating temperatures below zero, measuring changes in stock market values, or determining the direction and magnitude of forces in physics. Understanding this rule can also help in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations involving negative numbers.