Change of variable (involving partial diff.)

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion on solving a problem involving an integral with a factor of r3 in the denominator, the confusion on the approach used for part c, a clarification on the meaning of potential and its physical significance, and a suggestion for converting the potential into cylindrical form.
athrun200

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=37092&stc=1&d=1310359222.jpg

Homework Equations

attachment.php?attachmentid=37094&stc=1&d=1310359249.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure part b and c.

Also, I don't know how to answer the last question.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37093&stc=1&d=1310359222.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 629
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution for part 3, you have a factor of r3 in the denominator outside the integral (in each of the three integrals). Remember r = x + y + z, so you cannot take it outside the integral.

Your approach for part c looks confusing. We'll talk about part c, let's get through part b first.

Sourabh N said:
In your solution for part 3, you have a factor of r3 in the denominator outside the integral (in each of the three integrals). Remember r = x + y + z, so you cannot take it outside the integral.

Your approach for part c looks confusing. We'll talk about part c, let's get through part b first.

It seems [itex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/itex], isn't it?

Ah, ofcourse! My bad.

Well if I intergrate r at the same time, it becomes [itex]\int\frac{x}{({x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}})^\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

Which is difficult to integrate...

athrun200 said:
Well if I intergrate r at the same time, it becomes [itex]\int\frac{x}{({x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}})^\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

Which is difficult to integrate...
Not really. For example, for x integral take x2 + y2 + z2 = t, then 2xdx = dt and your integral is simply dt/2*(t^1.5)

Sourabh N said:
Not really. For example, for x integral take x2 + y2 + z2 = t, then 2xdx = dt and your integral is simply dt/2*(t^1.5)

Oh. I forget that I can use substitution.
But how about the new interval?
From 0 to x^2+y^2+z^2?

athrun200 said:
Oh. I forget that I can use substitution.
But how about the new interval?
From 0 to x^2+y^2+z^2?
Common convention is to express potential relative to potential at infinity, so limits would be[itex]\infty[/itex] to x2 + y2 + z2.

Now, I find that the integral for x, y and z are the same.
Is that correct now?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37098&stc=1&d=1310362473.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 444
athrun200 said:
Now, I find that the integral for x, y and z are the same.
Is that correct now?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37098&stc=1&d=1310362473.jpg

2 things. First, although you wrote 0 as lower limit, you realize it's actually infinity (as I mentioned in previous post). Having the correct upper and lower limit will help you fix the sign of final value for x integral you get.
Second, note it's the x integral; it is accompanied with a [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and similarly y and z integral are accompanied with respective unit vectors. Together they form [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] which has to look same as 8.11 (this is part c!)

Sourabh N said:
2 things. First, although you wrote 0 as lower limit, you realize it's actually infinity (as I mentioned in previous post). Having the correct upper and lower limit will help you fix the sign of final value for x integral you get.
Do you mean I should put infinty as the upper limit and x^+y^+z^2 as lower limit?
What is the physical meaning if I put infinty as the lower limit and x^+y^+z^2 as the upper limit?
Sourabh N said:
Second, note it's the x integral; it is accompanied with a [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and similarly y and z integral are accompanied with respective unit vectors. Together they form [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] which has to look same as 8.11 (this is part c!)

I don't understand this point.
Do you mean that I miss out the vector?

However, inside the integral is a dot product. i.e.[itex]F\bullet dr[/itex]
Since dot product produce scalar only, there should be not any vector left.

athrun200 said:
Do you mean I should put infinty as the upper limit and x^+y^+z^2 as lower limit?
What is the physical meaning if I put infinty as the lower limit and x^+y^+z^2 as the upper limit?
Look at it this way - x2 + y2 + z2 = t (where y and z and not constant anymore). So, 2xdx + 2ydy + 2zdz = dt. This substitution makes more sense than taking x2 + y2 + z2 = t with y and z constant as I had suggested previously. Because now the limit of integral is infinity and x2 + y2 + z2. I am not sure about limits of the integral if y and z are kept constant.

On the meaning of upper lower limits - Griffith defines potential like
potential.jpg
I cannot possibly give a better explanation. I highly recommend you have a look (Sec 2.3 in Griffith - Intro to electrodynamics)

I don't understand this point.
Do you mean that I miss out the vector?

However, inside the integral is a dot product. i.e.[itex]F\bullet dr[/itex]
Since dot product produce scalar only, there should be not any vector left.

Ignore this. I jumped on part c in my head.

Last edited:
Sourabh N said:
Look at it this way - x2 + y2 + z2 = t (where y and z and not constant anymore). So, 2xdx + 2ydy + 2zdz = dt. This substitution makes more sense than taking x2 + y2 + z2 = t with y and z constant as I had suggested previously. Because now the limit of integral is infinity and x2 + y2 + z2. I am not sure about limits of the integral if y and z are kept constant.

On the meaning of upper lower limits - Griffith defines potential like View attachment 37100 I cannot possibly give a better explanation. I highly recommend you have a look (Sec 2.3 in Griffith - Intro to electrodynamics)

Ignore this. I jumped on part c in my head.

So [itex]\phi=\frac{q}{r}[/itex]?
If it is correct, let's move to part c.

I would like to know if I get the correct cylindrical form.

athrun200 said:
So [itex]\phi=\frac{q}{r}[/itex]?
If it is correct, let's move to part c.
Yes that is correct. You can check that by using [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] = -[itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]\phi[/itex] and comparing it with 8.11
I would like to know if I get the correct cylindrical form.
To get [itex]\phi[/itex] in cylindrical form, you have to write [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] in cylindrical coordinates and follow the procedure as above. (To know how to go to cylindrical from spherical, look at http://is.gd/JFitBh)

Sourabh N said:
To get [itex]\phi[/itex] in cylindrical form, you have to write [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] in cylindrical coordinates and follow the procedure as above. (To know how to go to cylindrical from spherical, look at http://is.gd/JFitBh)

Do you mean that my approach above can't get the answer?
If so, why?

What is a change of variable involving partial differentiation?

A change of variable involving partial differentiation is a method used in multivariable calculus to simplify the expression of a function with multiple independent variables. It involves substituting one or more variables with new variables to make the expression easier to work with.

When is a change of variable involving partial differentiation useful?

A change of variable involving partial differentiation is useful when dealing with complicated functions that involve multiple independent variables. It allows for a simpler expression of the function, making it easier to calculate derivatives and integrals.

How do you perform a change of variable involving partial differentiation?

To perform a change of variable involving partial differentiation, you first need to identify the variables that can be substituted. Then, you need to determine the new variables that will replace them. Finally, you can use the chain rule and the rules of partial differentiation to express the function in terms of the new variables.

What is the purpose of using a change of variable involving partial differentiation?

The purpose of using a change of variable involving partial differentiation is to simplify the expression of a function and make it easier to work with. This can be useful in many mathematical applications, such as optimization problems, solving differential equations, and finding critical points.

Are there any limitations to using a change of variable involving partial differentiation?

Yes, there are limitations to using a change of variable involving partial differentiation. It may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution or the resulting expression may become more complex. It is important to carefully consider the function and the variables before deciding to use a change of variable involving partial differentiation.