Help finding plans for a simple rankine cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of building a simple closed loop Rankine cycle to generate electricity through hands-on learning. The individual is a novice and is having trouble finding clear instructions online. They mention the basic components of a Rankine cycle and express a concern about safety. They ask for recommendations for resources or projects to follow. Other participants in the conversation offer suggestions and encourage the individual to research and build their own turbine.
pagerussell
Hello,

I am a complete novice and would like to build a simple closed loop rankine cycle that generate electricy, even if it only enough to power a light bulb. I want to learn more about thermal energy conversion in a hands on way, but I am having trouble finding any simple, easy to follow instructions online detailing how to go about building something like this:

a heat source applied to a working fluid, which then boils to turn a small turbine before being routed to a radiator, where it gives off its heat. then compressed and sent back to the heat source.

Like I said, i am novice and would prefer not to catch a face full of hot steam, so I would love some detailed instructions.

Anyone have a link to a project they really liked? or a book? something, anything really.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably won't be able to build a good one. Turbines tend to run on high pressure gradients, which in other recent thread; pressure, steam and someone not knowing what they are doing is a bad combination.You could however build something slightly different. Which is based on a velocity turbine. You heat the fluid to build pressue, then use a nozzle to convert the pressure to velocity.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbine for different turbine types.

www.infinityturbine.com
www.redrok.com

There are many DIY non engineers making simple rankine cycles. You can build anything you put your mind to build. Just research what materials will work best for the intended heat and expected pressures. You have access to everything you need via google. Build your own turbine if you like. There are a lot of different designs and plans out there. No degree required I assure you.

1. What is a simple Rankine cycle?

A simple Rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that is commonly used in power plants to convert heat into mechanical work. It is composed of four main components: a boiler, a turbine, a condenser, and a pump.

2. What are the advantages of a simple Rankine cycle?

The main advantage of a simple Rankine cycle is its simplicity and efficiency. It can be easily operated and maintained, and it has a high thermal efficiency compared to other power cycles.

3. How do I find plans for a simple Rankine cycle?

Plans for a simple Rankine cycle can be found through various sources such as textbooks, engineering manuals, and online resources. It is important to ensure that the plans are from a reliable source and follow industry standards.

4. Can a simple Rankine cycle be modified for different applications?

Yes, a simple Rankine cycle can be modified for different applications by changing the working fluid, pressure and temperature levels, and the number of stages in the turbine. These modifications can optimize the cycle for specific needs.

5. What are some common challenges in implementing a simple Rankine cycle?

Some common challenges in implementing a simple Rankine cycle include designing and maintaining the components to withstand high pressures and temperatures, addressing corrosion and erosion issues, and ensuring proper heat transfer and fluid flow within the system.