How do I solve an equation with a fraction as the variable's coefficient?

I'll try to remember that next time.In summary, the individual is reviewing solving equations with fractions as coefficients, but has forgotten the specific steps involved. They recall the phrase "multiply by the reciprocal" but are unsure of what to multiply by. They are seeking help in understanding the process.
AVReidy
It's been two years since Algebra I, and I forgot a lot. I'm doing a review of solving equations, and every single one includes fractions. I don't like fractions.

The easiest one is as follows (simplified to an improper fraction): 4/3x = 5.

If I remember anything about solving equations with fractions as coefficients, the phrase "Multiply by the reciprocal" comes to mind. I vaguely remember doing this by flipping the fraction and multiplying, but I don't remember what I multiply by.

I can't find anything on the internet about this, so I'm hoping someone can explain how to do this. Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AVReidy said:
It's been two years since Algebra I, and I forgot a lot. I'm doing a review of solving equations, and every single one includes fractions. I don't like fractions.

The easiest one is as follows (simplified to an improper fraction): 4/3x = 5.

If I remember anything about solving equations with fractions as coefficients, the phrase "Multiply by the reciprocal" comes to mind. I vaguely remember doing this by flipping the fraction and multiplying, but I don't remember what I multiply by.

I can't find anything on the internet about this, so I'm hoping someone can explain how to do this. Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed this may be in the wrong section. I'll make a new one if someone thinks this should go in the coursework section. But... it's really just a question about solving equations in general.

I moved your thread for you. Thanks for the heads-up.

In general, you want to do the same operation to both sides of the = sign, so that the equality still holds true.

So you can add the same thing to both the LHS (lefthand side) and RHS, or multiply LHS and RHS by the same thing, etc.

So if you want to get the "x" out of the denominiator of the LHS, what can you multiply both the LHS and RHS by to get the x out of the denominator of the LHS and into the numerator of the RHS?

Remember that if you have the same thing in both the numerator and denominator, you can "cancel" them because x/x = 1, for any x (ignore x=0 for now).

So we're looking at (4/3)x = 5. Remember to use parentheses.

AVReidy said:
If I remember anything about solving equations with fractions as coefficients, the phrase "Multiply by the reciprocal" comes to mind.

Yes...what's the reciprocal of 4/3? Multiply both sides by this and you have your answer.

If you do mean 4/(3x) = 5, then follow berkeman's advice.

Oh. Is it (4/3)x=5, or (4/3x)=5 ?

Thank you all! It was meant to be (4/3)x = 5. Wasn't sure how to describe a fraction there.

AVReidy said:
Thank you all! It was meant to be (4/3)x = 5. Wasn't sure how to describe a fraction there.

You can also use LaTeX to help you write your equations. Use the Quote button on my post to see how I did this:

[tex]\frac{4}{3} x = 5[/tex]

In the Edit (Advanced) window, the LaTeX tools are under the Sigma button, which looks like this:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]

Good to know, thanks.

What is a variable's coefficient in an equation?

A variable's coefficient is the number that is multiplied by the variable in an equation. It represents the quantity or amount associated with the variable.

Why is it important to solve equations with fractions as the variable's coefficient?

Solving equations with fractions as the variable's coefficient allows us to find the exact value of the variable in the equation. This is crucial in many real-life applications such as in finance, engineering, and science.

How do I isolate the variable with a fraction as its coefficient?

To isolate the variable with a fraction as its coefficient, we use inverse operations to cancel out the coefficient. For example, if the variable is multiplied by 3/4, we can divide both sides of the equation by 3/4 to isolate the variable.

Can I solve an equation with a fraction as the variable's coefficient using only mental math?

Yes, you can solve equations with fractions as the variable's coefficient using only mental math. It may be helpful to simplify or convert the fraction into a decimal to make the calculations easier.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with fractions as the variable's coefficient?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include not distributing the coefficient properly, forgetting to change the signs when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, and not simplifying fractions before solving the equation.