Difficulty of lower division courses vs. upper division (undergraduate)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's plan to transfer to a state university to complete their BS in chemical engineering. They acknowledge the potential difficulty of maintaining their 3.5 GPA in the more challenging university courses and seek advice from others who have experienced a similar situation. The general consensus is to work hard and develop good study habits in order to succeed. The conversation also touches on the importance of time management, making friends on campus, and the potential impact of having a job while in school.
Sentience
Within the next year, I'm transferring from the local community college to the state university to complete my BS in chemical engineering. Right now I have about 3.5 gpa in my lower division courses (math, chem, physics, intro engineering, etc). Obviously, I'm going to work as hard as I can to maintain or even improve that average.

But, realistically, I know that the university courses are going to be harder. Has anyone experienced this situation before? Did your gpa drop considerably?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, i know a lot of people who transfer with a 3.9 or whatever and end up getting a 2.x their first semester in ChE, so don't be too upset if it happens, but on the other hand I know of others who transfer and do well.

the best thing to do is develop / implement good study habits, and continuously work hard, and things should even out after a few semesters.

I am so screwed

^Not a good attitude. Don't worry too much about it but don't underestimate it either.

Good time management is very important. I don't know about Chem.E but all other engineering disciplines (I'm EE personally) are very time consuming. You'll often have long lab reports, problem sets and projects due and each of those take a substantial amount of time.

Sentience said:
I am so screwed

nah, just work as hard as you can, and get used to that as being the norm, that imo is what most people have trouble adjusting to / accepting -- they can't seem to register that to do well, you really have to work all of the time.

some people may disagree with this and talk about how they were able to complete all of their assignments in a reasonable amount of time, and still go out drinking X nights a week, etc. -- and to that I say: not everyone is as smart as you.

the thing about ChE is that it attracts a lot of smart and talented individuals -- yourself included. everyone is different, and some have to work at things more than others -- like i and my friends did, but, having struggled at the beginning, we (my friends and i) had developed a strong set of study skills (for engineering materials), so that when jr/sr year rolled around -- along with more difficult classes -- we were well prepared and really held our own. many of our peers on the other hand, who never had to / bothered to put in any more work than necessary to complete the assignment / get a good grade, didn't have these skills and visibly struggled.

so the "too long; didn't read" is: stick with it, work hard, and you will do fine. but go in knowing that you have to work your *** off until you get used to things and then can adjust your work habits.

also: as a transfer student you are at a disadvantage by not having a lot of friends on campus, and this is something that you need to remedy immediately. friends at school, especially in engineering is CRUCIAL to success. go in from day1, talking to EVERYONE. literally chat up everyone in your classes, and get to know people. they are your best resource.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Just curious, do you work at all?

I don't understand how it can be harder to keep a high GPA for upper level classes. Don't most universities keep a standard average GPA? For example, at my university, a lot of classes are normalized at the end so the average grade in the class is a C+/B-. Is this only done for lower division classes?

brushman said:
I don't understand how it can be harder to keep a high GPA for upper level classes. Don't most universities keep a standard average GPA? For example, at my university, a lot of classes are normalized at the end so the average grade in the class is a C+/B-. Is this only done for lower division classes?
That would be a function of the university.

My GPA's dropping considerably, yeah. I'm at my first semester after transferring from a community college into aerospace engineering. I was never anything less than a B student, but now I'll be lucky just to pass my differential equations class.

Sentience said:
Thanks for the advice. Just curious, do you work at all?
i didnt have a job to pay rent or anything at any point when i was in school, but i worked as an undergraduate researcher, and was there quite a lot. it had its perks though -- place to chill / study at all hours of the day/night, and access to a xerox at no charge. though, it did take up a considerable amount of time.

Angry Citizen said:
My GPA's dropping considerably, yeah. I'm at my first semester after transferring from a community college into aerospace engineering. I was never anything less than a B student, but now I'll be lucky just to pass my differential equations class.

keep up the good work though, there is def an adjustment period, and engineering isn't a cake walk.

1. What is the difference between lower division and upper division courses?

Lower division courses refer to undergraduate courses that are typically taken during a student's first and second year of college. These courses are usually introductory in nature and provide a foundation for more advanced coursework. Upper division courses, on the other hand, are taken during a student's third and fourth year of college and are more specialized and advanced.

2. Are lower division courses easier than upper division courses?

It is a common misconception that lower division courses are easier than upper division courses. While lower division courses may cover more general topics, they still require a significant amount of effort and understanding. Upper division courses, on the other hand, may be more challenging as they delve deeper into specific subject matter and require a higher level of critical thinking.

3. Do lower division courses prepare students for upper division courses?

Yes, lower division courses are designed to provide students with a strong foundation in a particular subject area, which in turn prepares them for more advanced coursework in the same field. Lower division courses often build upon each other, and the knowledge and skills gained in these courses are essential for success in upper division courses.

4. How does the difficulty of lower division courses compare to that of upper division courses?

The difficulty of lower division courses and upper division courses may vary depending on the subject matter and the individual student's strengths and weaknesses. Generally, upper division courses require a higher level of critical thinking, analysis, and application of knowledge, making them more challenging than lower division courses. However, this can also depend on the individual student's level of interest and dedication to the subject.

5. Is it necessary to take both lower division and upper division courses?

Yes, it is necessary to take both lower division and upper division courses to complete an undergraduate degree. Lower division courses provide a foundation for more advanced coursework, and upper division courses offer a more in-depth understanding of a particular subject area. Both types of courses are essential for a well-rounded education and preparation for a future career.