Lab Experiment:Calculating Molar Enthelpy of Fusion of Water

In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment to find the molar enthalpy of fusion of water using a calorimeter. The results are given and the calculation is explained. There is a question about the change in temperature value for water and a discussion about the use of absolute values and negative signs in the calculation. The correct way to find the enthalpy of fusion is clarified and the importance of carefully controlling the experiment is emphasized. Finally, there is a realization of the mistake in the approach and a plan to review the textbook and practice more problems.
nobb
Hey.
I am doing a lab experiment in school to find the molar enthalpy of fusion of water. Ice and water are mixed in a calorimeter and the temperatures are recorded. Here are my results. Mass of ice cube: 6.61g. Mass of water: 100g. Initial ice temperature: 0 degrees celsius. Initial water temperature: 21 degrees celsius. Final Temperature of ice and water: 16 degrees celsius.

To calculate the molar enthaply I used mcT(ice)+nH = mcT(water)
now I substitute in my values. 6.61(4.19)(16)+(6.61/18.02)H=100(4.19)(5)
My question is about the change in temperature value for water(T). Should it be 5, or -5? Would it be 5 since heat is being lost? I've calculated using both values and it seems like using -5 will get an answer that is closer to the accepted value of molar enthalpy of fusion of water. Can someone please tell me the correct way to do this? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In your binary ice-water mixture, ice is the one that receives energy, and water is the one that gives energy. So energy is lost from water, indicating a minus sign before. The minus has a physical meaning, not a mathematical one.

And that means I don't use it?

nobb, you use the negative sign in your calculation because it indicates a physical temperature decrease.

if you were to use the absolute value all of the time it would be hard to determine whether there was a loss of energy or gain.

also why did you choose to use that formula. I received a value of -6906 j.

finding the change in enthalpy of water(q=mct)then dividing it by the # of moles of ice (6.61g/18.02g/mol) gives me a value of -5691 J. This value from your data is closer to the molar enthalpy of fusion of ice.

nobb said:
Hey.
I am doing a lab experiment in school to find the molar enthalpy of fusion of water. Ice and water are mixed in a calorimeter and the temperatures are recorded. Here are my results. Mass of ice cube: 6.61g. Mass of water: 100g. Initial ice temperature: 0 degrees celsius. Initial water temperature: 21 degrees celsius. Final Temperature of ice and water: 16 degrees celsius.

To calculate the molar enthaply I used mcT(ice)+nH = mcT(water)
now I substitute in my values. 6.61(4.19)(16)+(6.61/18.02)H=100(4.19)(5)
My question is about the change in temperature value for water(T). Should it be 5, or -5? Would it be 5 since heat is being lost? I've calculated using both values and it seems like using -5 will get an answer that is closer to the accepted value of molar enthalpy of fusion of water. Can someone please tell me the correct way to do this? Thanks.

Nobb. You must use change in T = absolute value of change = +5. Here's the reason :

[tex]Q_f = Q _i [/tex]

[tex]Q_f(water) + Q_f(water from ice) = Q _i(water) + Q_i(ice) [/tex]

[tex]Set~Q(ice~at~0C) = 0 [/tex]

Now :
[tex]Q_f(water) = m(water)*C*T_f + n(water)H [/tex]

[tex]Q_f(water from ice) = m(water~from~ice)*C*T_f + n(water~from~ice)H [/tex]

[tex]Q_i(water) = m(water)*C*T_i + n(water)H [/tex]

[tex]Q_i(ice) = 0 [/tex]

Plugging in these values into the second equation gives:

[tex] m(water)*C*T_f + n(water)H + m(water~from~ice)*C*T_f + n(water~from~ice)H = m(water)*C*T_i + n(water)H + 0 [/tex]

Collecting terms, this becomes :

[tex] m(water)*C*(T_f-T_i) + m(water~from~ice)*C*T_f + n(water~from~ice)H = 0 [/tex]
Which, upon rearranging, becomes :

[tex] m(water)*C*(T_i-T_f) = m(water~from~ice)*C*T_f + n(water~from~ice)H [/tex]

Look at the LHS and you will see that it contains T(i) - T(f) = 21 - 16 = +5, not -5.

A shorter, but less rigorous explanation of why you use +5 is in looking at the the conservation statement that says "heat lost = heat gained". Now if one side of this equation is negative, and the other side is positive, the two sides can never be equal to each other. So, stated this way, the equation only talks about absolute values of heat lost or gained.

You will end up with a number like 4.5 KJ/mol, which appears to be lower than the expected 6 KJ/mol. This is because of heat leaking in from the surroundings, raising the final temperature. A more carefully controlled experiment would have resulted in a lower final temperature.

Last edited:
gerald said:
nobb, you use the negative sign in your calculation because it indicates a physical temperature decrease.

if you were to use the absolute value all of the time it would be hard to determine whether there was a loss of energy or gain.
No gerald, that's not correct.

also why did you choose to use that formula. I received a value of -6906 j.

finding the change in enthalpy of water(q=mct)then dividing it by the # of moles of ice (6.61g/18.02g/mol) gives me a value of -5691 J. This value from your data is closer to the molar enthalpy of fusion of ice.

gerald, this is not the correct way to find the enthalpy of fusion. Nodd has used the correct approach. The number you get may be closer to the expected number, but that is not because your approach is correct.

hmm, so we always use an absolute value for temperature readings ? do we then determine a negative sign for molar enthalpy by looking at whether energy was lost or gained.

what was wrong with my approach?

Last edited:
if we always use an absolute value why is it denoted as delta t which is = t(final) - t(initial)

alright, i think i understand what was wrong with my approach. the energy involved in decreasing the temperature of water isn't necessarily the amount of energy involved in the fusion of ice right. am i on the right track?

i'm going to read over my textbook more thoroughly again and do some more problems.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the molar enthalpy of fusion of water?

The molar enthalpy of fusion of water is a measure of the energy required to change one mole of ice into liquid water at its melting point. This value is important in various fields of science, such as chemistry and thermodynamics, as it helps us understand the behavior of water and its phase changes.

2. How is the molar enthalpy of fusion of water calculated in a lab experiment?

In a lab experiment, the molar enthalpy of fusion of water is calculated by measuring the amount of heat required to melt a known mass of ice at its melting point. This is done by using a calorimeter and recording temperature changes during the melting process. The molar enthalpy of fusion can then be calculated using the formula: ΔH = q/m, where ΔH is the molar enthalpy of fusion, q is the heat absorbed, and m is the mass of ice melted.

3. How does the molar enthalpy of fusion of water vary with different experimental conditions?

The molar enthalpy of fusion of water is a constant value at a specific temperature and pressure. However, it can vary depending on the purity of the water and any impurities present, as well as the experimental conditions such as the accuracy of measurements and the insulation of the calorimeter.

4. What is the significance of the molar enthalpy of fusion of water in everyday life?

The molar enthalpy of fusion of water plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is the reason why ice melts when heated, allowing us to have cold drinks and use refrigerators. It is also essential in understanding weather patterns and the formation of snow and ice in the atmosphere. In industries, the molar enthalpy of fusion is used in processes that involve phase changes, such as in the production of food and pharmaceuticals.

5. Can the molar enthalpy of fusion of water be negative?

No, the molar enthalpy of fusion of water cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, indicating that energy is required to change the phase of water from solid to liquid. However, it is possible for the molar enthalpy of fusion to have a small, negative uncertainty due to experimental errors and limitations in measurements.