Unlock the Potential of Natural Oils: Light Theory and Car Wax"

• Thread starter JJ_
  • Start date
In summary: You can see it in movies and on TV shows where they have the "lighting man" adjusting the colors of the light to get that "special" effect. In summary, using natural oils such as hazelnut oil, you can create a refractive index that is different from that of petroleum or oil, which will create a "hue" effect in light. However, this may not be possible to do with a consistent thickness, as small random variations will average out the interference.
JJ_
Hi guys, I make car wax for a living and I want to ask you something about light theory.

My new car wax is made using natural oils such as hazelnut oil which has a refractive index of 1.468-1.478 estimation.

My question is this, you see a puddle with petroleum or oil and you see certain colours normally the slower moving light.

Is there a way I could recreate this by utilising my natural oils to promote some "hues"

A long shot I know but is this possible ??

Thanks very much guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - you do this by controlling the thickness of the coating.
Look up "thin films" ... bearing in mind that the car paint absorbs light as well so the colors you can promote will depend on the wavelengths scattered off the paint.

What happens is, light reflecting off the top of the oil interferes with light reflecting off the water - the interference will be constructive or destructive for a particular wavelength depending on the refractive index of the oil and it's thickness.

It can be done artificially, for instance, in optical equipment, but I imagine it would be very difficult to do with oils rubbed on a car.
The surface has to be nanometer smooth.

So in essence it has to be a uniform coating ?

I had thought of a wax using glycerin for the bottom and a harder wax for the top which would possibly create a really small film intereference?

You need to avoid small random variations on the surface - ridges, scratches and so on - they tend to average out the interference effects and the bottom layer dominates. A varying thickness surface will favor varying colors - which is why you get different colors off the oil film. The surface has to be smooth.

You can certainly experiment.

JJ_ said:
Hi guys, I make car wax for a living and I want to ask you something about light theory.

My new car wax is made using natural oils such as hazelnut oil which has a refractive index of 1.468-1.478 estimation.

My question is this, you see a puddle with petroleum or oil and you see certain colours normally the slower moving light.

Is there a way I could recreate this by utilising my natural oils to promote some "hues"

A long shot I know but is this possible ??

Thanks very much guys!

Probably not- the thickness has to be tightly controlled and since wax quickly wears off, your hard work will last for a fleeting moment. OTOH, you may be able to mix something into the wax:

http://www.uspaint.com/paints/color-shifting.asp

If you haven't seen a car painted with this- it's a really striking effect.

1. What makes a question "really unusual" in the scientific community?

A "really unusual" question in the scientific community is one that challenges current beliefs and theories, or one that explores a topic that has not been extensively studied before. These questions often require creative thinking and may not have a clear answer.

2. How do scientists decide which questions to research?

Scientists often choose questions to research based on their relevance to current scientific knowledge, potential for new discoveries, and practical applications. They may also consider funding availability and personal interests.

3. Can "really unusual" questions lead to significant scientific breakthroughs?

Yes, "really unusual" questions have the potential to lead to significant scientific breakthroughs. By challenging current beliefs and pushing the boundaries of knowledge, these questions can inspire innovative thinking and open up new avenues for research.

4. Are "really unusual" questions only asked in certain fields of science?

No, "really unusual" questions can be asked in any field of science. They are not limited to a specific area of study, but rather depend on the creativity and curiosity of individual scientists.

5. How can the scientific community ensure that "really unusual" questions are taken seriously?

The scientific community can ensure that "really unusual" questions are taken seriously by promoting open-mindedness and encouraging interdisciplinary collaboration. It is important for scientists to listen to and consider all ideas, no matter how unusual they may seem, in order to advance scientific understanding.