Type 1a Supernova - linking Nickel decay to luminosity

In summary, the conversation is about a coursework question involving Nickel decay and various parameters such as time, energy release, decay constant, and luminosity. The question is how to link these parameters together to determine the rate of Nickel decay necessary to produce a certain luminosity at a given time. The person asking the question is unsure of where to start, but there is a suggestion to consider the units of luminosity as a starting point.
OscarTheDog

Homework Statement

I have a question in my coursework where I don't know where to start. I've got Nickel decaying post the explosion, I've got a time t, I've got an energy release per nucleus of Nickel, I've got a decay constant, I've got a light curve decay half life, and I've got a luminosity at time t. So how do I link these things togehter?

Homework Equations

What rate must Nickel be decaying at to give the luminosity at time t?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. I have the formulae relating to numbers of nucleons of Nickel at time t=0, and time t, and imagine somehow I need to relate the energy liberated from the decay of each nucleon to the overall luminosity, but I've really tied myself in knots as to where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you might start by asking yourself, "What is luminosity?" What are its units?

So really that simple, how many nucleons of Nickel are burning up in MeV or J per second in order to give the luminosity? I didn't think it could be that simple, but now I've written it down with your prompt on units...

1. How does a Type 1a Supernova occur?

A Type 1a Supernova occurs when a white dwarf star, which is the remnant core of a star that has exhausted its nuclear fuel, accretes enough material from a companion star to reach a critical mass and undergo a runaway nuclear fusion reaction.

2. What is the role of Nickel decay in a Type 1a Supernova?

Nickel-56, a radioactive isotope of Nickel, is produced during the fusion reaction in a Type 1a Supernova. As it decays, it releases a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays, which is responsible for the initial brightening of the supernova.

3. How does Nickel decay affect the luminosity of a Type 1a Supernova?

The energy released from Nickel decay causes the outer layers of the supernova to expand and cool, decreasing its luminosity. However, as the supernova continues to expand, the radioactive decay of other elements, such as Cobalt-56 and Iron-56, contribute to the luminosity of the supernova.

4. Can the luminosity of a Type 1a Supernova be accurately predicted using Nickel decay?

Yes, the luminosity of a Type 1a Supernova can be accurately predicted by measuring the amount of Nickel-56 produced during the explosion. This is because the decay rate of Nickel-56 is well-understood and consistent, allowing scientists to calculate the amount of energy released from its decay.

5. Are all Type 1a Supernovae identical in luminosity due to Nickel decay?

No, not all Type 1a Supernovae have the same luminosity as it also depends on other factors such as the mass and composition of the white dwarf and the amount of material accreted from its companion star. However, the contribution of Nickel decay to the luminosity is a crucial factor in understanding and predicting the overall brightness of a Type 1a Supernova.