Help with Older Electronic Inspection System - Cognex DVT 630 Camera

• Thread starter salesmch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, the individual is experimenting with an older electronic inspection system and has found a way to rig it up with a 24 volt source. They have questions about the camera's pins and their functions, specifically regarding the positive and negative leads. It is common for power to be distributed through multiple pins and the negative lead should be connected to pin 13. The person is advised to measure their homemade power supply before using it to ensure it is within the specified limits.
salesmch
Hi all:

I am trying to experiment with an older (10 plus year old) electronic inspection system to learn how electronic inspection works. The camera I bought is an old Cognex DVT model 630 that requires a 24 volt source. I have been able to get one of our people to rig me up a system with a plus and minus leads.

The issue is the camera has the following pins per their manual:

Pins 1-12: Inputs & Outputs
Pins 13: Ground
Pin 14 &15: + 24V

My questions:
1) How can pin 14 and 15 both be for the positive lead? Is it common that either of the two (14 or 15) pins could be connected to the positive lead?

2) Is pin 13 ground the same as the negative lead?

Many thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

1) Yes, +24 volts should be connected to both pins 14 & 15. It is fairly common to bring power in on two pins, often because it is simply easier to distribute it that way.

2) Yes, the negative lead of your 24 volt supply gets connected to pin 13.

Suggestion: measure your power suppyl before energising it. Since it is homemade it should be within the power limits listed in the manual.

Last edited:

1. What are the basic components of an electronic circuit?

The basic components of an electronic circuit include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components are used to control the flow of electricity and perform various functions within a circuit.

2. How do I read an electronic circuit diagram?

Electronic circuit diagrams use symbols to represent the various components and connections within a circuit. These symbols can be found in a key or legend and typically follow a standard format. It's important to understand the meaning of each symbol and how they relate to each other in order to read a circuit diagram accurately.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use a current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant flow of current in one direction. AC is typically used for power distribution, while DC is used for electronic devices.

4. How do I choose the right components for my circuit?

Choosing components for a circuit depends on the desired function and specifications of the circuit. Factors to consider include voltage and current requirements, size and shape constraints, and cost. It's important to also consider compatibility between components to ensure they work together effectively.

5. What resources are available for learning about electronics?

There are many resources available for learning about electronics, including online tutorials, textbooks, and workshops. It's also helpful to join online communities or local groups where you can ask questions and learn from experienced electronics enthusiasts.