Is This a Solar Flare?" - Investigating Possible Phenomenon

• Thread starter Neptulin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary: Venus transit through his telescope and noticed an 'arc' in the picture after he took the photo. He's since zoomed in on it on his laptop and attached it to this post. The 'arc' is most likely a prominence, a result of the sun's activity rather than a solar flare.
Neptulin
Hi everyone! Earlier today I was viewing the Venus transit with the astronomy club at my university and I decided to try to take photos of the event through my 8 megapixel camera phone through the telescope. Of course, the quality wasn't exactly great. The last photo I took of the event was the one attached. The resolution was too low to make out Venus - I could barely see with my eyes at this point and it disappeared from sight completely moments later. I did, however, notice an 'arc' in the picture after I took the photo. I've since zoomed in on it on my laptop and attached it to this post.

While the quality is terrible and the 'event' is almost insignificant compared to the random blur of the camera, the distance it extends from the sun compared to the rest of the 'blur', as well as the gap underneath it, leads me to believe it is actually there and not a result of random error due to the low resolution.

Is this a solar flare? Or is it something else?

I can promise you I'll get a better camera for December 2117!

Attachments

• 2012-06-06 14.43.06 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    2012-06-06 14.43.06 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Possible Solar Flare.jpg
    Possible Solar Flare.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 2012-06-06 14.12.25 - Copy.jpg
    2012-06-06 14.12.25 - Copy.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 523
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It sure looks like one.

Not necessarily, it most likely is just a prominence. Not all prominences are related to flares, I would go as far as saying, through some 30 years of solar observing, that probably 95% of prominences are non flare related

keep an eye on this Helium II image of the Sun where you will see many many prominences

Neptulin ... what filtering was there on the telescope ? Normally you wouldn't see prominences or flares without the appropriate solar filters. The only other time you would normally see prominences on the limb of the Sun would be during a total eclipse of the sun where the brightness of the Sun is blocked out and the prominences become visible

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What is a solar flare?

A solar flare is a sudden and intense burst of radiation from the sun's surface. It is caused by the release of energy stored in the sun's magnetic field.

2. How often do solar flares occur?

Solar flares occur frequently, but their frequency varies depending on the stage of the solar cycle. During periods of high solar activity, they can occur several times a day.

3. How are solar flares measured?

Solar flares are measured on a scale of A, B, C, M, and X, with X being the most powerful. This scale measures the intensity of the X-rays emitted during the flare.

4. Can solar flares affect Earth?

Yes, solar flares can affect Earth in various ways. They can disrupt satellite communication and power grids, and also cause radio blackouts and auroras in the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How do scientists predict solar flares?

Scientists use a variety of tools to predict solar flares, including satellite imagery, ground-based telescopes, and computer simulations. They also monitor the sun's activity, such as sunspots and magnetic fields, to predict when a solar flare may occur.