Boost Angular Momentum Vector: Interpreting the Result

In summary, the angular momentum vector \mathbf{J} transforms non-covariantly under Lorentz transformations, specifically boosts generated by \mathbf{K}. The commutator [J_i,\,K_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k shows this. Under a finite boost, the angular momentum vector becomes mixed with the 'boost vector' \mathbf{J}\rightarrow\gamma\left[\mathbf{J}-\left(\frac{\gamma}{\gamma+1}(\mathbf{\beta}\cdot \mathbf{J})\mathbf{\beta}-\mathbf{\beta}\times\mathbf{K}\right)\right], which depends on the direction of the boost vector
TriTertButoxy
Since the angular momentum vector [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is just a 3-vector, it transforms non-covariantly under Lorentz transformations -- more specifically, boosts generated by [itex]\mathbf{K}[/itex]. Indeed, the commutator reads [itex][J_i,\,K_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k[/itex].

Under a finite boost, I find the angular momentum vector gets mixed up with the 'boost vector'
[tex]\mathbf{J}\rightarrow\gamma\left[\mathbf{J}-\left(\frac{\gamma}{\gamma+1}(\mathbf{\beta}\cdot \mathbf{J})\mathbf{\beta}-\mathbf{\beta}\times\mathbf{K}\right)\right][/tex]

(c.f. the Lorentz transformation of the electric field). How do I interpret this result? In which direction does the new angular momentum vector point? It depends on the boost vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that angular momentum is not a vector. It's a bivector.

What precisely is this boost vector you speak of? Edit: you mean the vector along the 3-velocity of the frame we're boosting into?

At any rate, it's much more elegant to consider angular momentum as a bivector. Then, you just get the result,

[tex]{J'}^{cd} = L_a^c L_b^d J^{ab}[/tex]

where [itex]J^{ab} = x^a p^b - p^a x^b[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is boost angular momentum vector?

The boost angular momentum vector is a mathematical representation of the rotational motion of an object that is undergoing a boost or acceleration in a specific direction. It is used to describe the magnitude and direction of the rotational motion of the object.

2. How is the boost angular momentum vector calculated?

The boost angular momentum vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the object's position vector and its linear momentum vector. This calculation results in a vector that represents the object's rotational motion.

3. What does the boost angular momentum vector tell us?

The boost angular momentum vector tells us the direction and magnitude of the rotational motion of an object undergoing a boost or acceleration. It can also provide information about the object's angular momentum and the forces acting on it.

4. How is the boost angular momentum vector interpreted?

The boost angular momentum vector can be interpreted by looking at its direction and magnitude. The direction of the vector indicates the axis of rotation, and the magnitude represents the strength of the rotational motion. Additionally, the vector can be broken down into its components to analyze the rotational motion in different directions.

5. How is the boost angular momentum vector useful in physics?

The boost angular momentum vector is useful in physics because it helps us understand and describe the rotational motion of objects undergoing a boost or acceleration. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used in many fields, including astronomy, engineering, and robotics.