Is a Contactor Suitable for High Power 3 Phase Transfer Switching?

In summary, Bobbywhy is uncomfortable with littleblackdoing her own professional EE work, and littleblack is not comfortable with Bobbywhy's lack of professional EE knowledge.
littleblackdo
I am designing a transfer switch to switch main power to Generator when main power is lost. Main power is 3 phase, 480VAC and rated at 300amps. Is a contactor a good choice for this? I cannot seem to find one rated this high of power.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm curious. Why design and not just purchase a Automatic Transfer Switch?

http://www.abrahamindustrial.com/buy/images/upload/thum/ASCO_Series_300.jpg

Anyway, just do a google search on "3 phase 300 amp contactors". There's a bunch.

There are also "static switches" that easily handle 300 A at 480VAC. They use SCRs and are commonly used in large UPS installations.

For instance, http://www.redoups.com/F24156/static_transfer_switches_singlethree_phase_251000amp.html

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for a True Transfer Switch - these are typically interlocked (electrically or mechanically) so both sources are not connected at the some time ( I prefer mechanical because electricians LOVE manually pushing contactors closed - so think of manually pushing the Gen Contactors closed when the line contactor is being used - ugly)
So there are mechanical "kits" for some of the larger 3 phase contractors so that both units are not in the same device -

I just googled Surplus ATS and they pop right up

Typically Static Switches ( Thyrisotr / SCR ) are not needed (or are cost justified) due to start up time of Generators - but in critical loads this is sometimes done - can also help with the transfer back to the line(utility)

I have to "conceptually" design this for a work project and was looking for ideas prior to meeting on it.

Main voltage is 480VAC, 3 phase Wye with 300A maximum. The Emergency/Alternate Source is 480VAC, 3 phase wye Generator. I was thinking of connecting the Main Source to 3 phase, 4 pole contactor. When power is lost, contactor closes time delay relay which will close another contactor after time limit expires to send start signal to Generator. Does the Contactor need to be rated at 277V or 480? Am I even on the right track with my ideas?

What if the generator doesn't start?

I am working on transfer switch. I should not have said "send start signal to Generator". I guess it will close contacts in start circuit.

littleblackdo said:
I have to "conceptually" design this for a work project and was looking for ideas prior to meeting on it.

Main voltage is 480VAC, 3 phase Wye with 300A maximum. The Emergency/Alternate Source is 480VAC, 3 phase wye Generator. I was thinking of connecting the Main Source to 3 phase, 4 pole contactor. When power is lost, contactor closes time delay relay which will close another contactor after time limit expires to send start signal to Generator. Does the Contactor need to be rated at 277V or 480? Am I even on the right track with my ideas?

Why try to formulate a "conceptual design" in a vacuum? The protection of "critical loads" with an UPS and diesel generator is a mature technology and has developed over many decades. Hundreds of equipment suppliers and thousands of consultants can easliy answer all your questions.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

So, littleblackdo, I'm uncomfortable with your lack of professional EE knowledge and the powers involved in your "project". If you have been given this as a work assignment, you should have the professional EE qualifications to answer these questions on your own. Posting high power high voltage questions in a web forum is not a good thing, and is against the PF rules for a reason. This thread is closed.

1. What is a high power contactor?

A high power contactor is an electrical switching device that is used to control and protect high voltage and high current circuits. It is typically used in industrial and commercial applications where large amounts of power need to be controlled and managed.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size for a high power contactor?

The size of a high power contactor is determined by the amount of voltage and current it can safely handle. The size is usually expressed in amps or kilowatts, and it is important to choose a contactor that can handle the specific load requirements of your application. It is recommended to consult with an experienced electrician or engineer to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

3. What are some factors to consider when selecting a high power contactor?

When selecting a high power contactor, it is important to consider the voltage and current ratings, the type of load (inductive or resistive), the frequency of switching, and the ambient temperature. It is also important to choose a reputable brand and ensure that the contactor is certified for use in your specific application.

4. Can a high power contactor be used with different types of power sources?

Yes, high power contactors can be used with different types of power sources such as AC or DC. However, it is important to choose a contactor that is specifically designed for the type of power source you will be using in your application.

5. How often should a high power contactor be replaced?

The lifespan of a high power contactor can vary depending on factors such as usage, load, and environmental conditions. However, it is recommended to regularly inspect and maintain the contactor and replace it if there are signs of wear or damage. It is also important to replace the contactor if it is no longer able to handle the required load or if it fails to function properly.