Electrolysis Cell Design. (Not for Car)

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a water electrolysis cell that can produce and store hydrogen separately from oxygen. The speaker is seeking advice on how to design this type of cell and expresses concerns about the pressure build-up in the container. The conversation also touches on the disappointing results of hydrogen production through electrolysis and its potential use as an energy storage option. The speaker acknowledges their difficulty in explaining their ideas and plans to provide a picture for better understanding.
GTeclips
Hello all.

As the title has informed you, I wish to make an water electrolysis cell that can not only produce hydrogen, but also store it completely separate from the oxygen (Again, I promise you, it is not for fuel.

Now, your probably wondering why I don't just make the typical one such as the one on the Wikipedia page (Sorry, to lazy to post a pic). The reason is (Or at least as far as I can understand): say you have an inflatable over the hydrogen out to harvest it, eventually the inflatable will grown to high enough pressure that it will simply push the water out the other end. Is there any way to fix this?

I know I have done a poor job trying to explain what I have, but if you understood, can you offer any designs that can do this job? Thank you for you time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In any case, you need a container big enough to hold the gas.

But did you compute how much gas you'll obtain by electrolysis? The result - both computational and observed - uses to be extremely disappointing. That's why hydrogen is a good option for energy storage.

Hmm... I don't think I have portrayed my thoughts well enough. I will try and find a picture soon to help explain my dilemma.

1. How does an Electrolysis Cell work?

An Electrolysis Cell is a device that uses electricity to break down a chemical compound into its individual elements. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, which are submerged in an electrolyte solution. When an electric current is passed through the solution, it causes a chemical reaction at the electrodes, separating the elements from the compound.

2. What materials are typically used to construct an Electrolysis Cell?

The electrodes in an Electrolysis Cell are usually made of a conductive material such as graphite or platinum. The electrolyte solution can vary depending on the type of compound being broken down, but common examples include water, saltwater, and sulfuric acid. The container for the cell is usually made of a non-reactive material like glass or plastic.

3. How can the efficiency of an Electrolysis Cell be increased?

To increase the efficiency of an Electrolysis Cell, several factors can be considered. These include using a higher voltage, increasing the surface area of the electrodes, and improving the conductivity of the electrolyte solution. It is also important to minimize any potential side reactions that could decrease the efficiency of the cell.

4. What are the applications of Electrolysis Cell in industries?

Electrolysis Cells have a wide range of applications in industries. They are commonly used in the production of metals such as aluminum, copper, and zinc. They are also used in the production of chlorine and other chemicals, as well as in the purification of metals and wastewater treatment processes.

5. How can safety be ensured when working with an Electrolysis Cell?

Safety measures should always be taken when working with an Electrolysis Cell. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, as well as ensuring proper ventilation in the working area. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to never touch the electrodes or the electrolyte solution while the cell is in operation.