Number of collisions; elastic collisions

In summary, according to the author, if there is no friction between the masses, then there will be a certain number of collisions between the masses. The more massive the outer mass is, the more collisions it will have.
Gloyn

Homework Statement

Hi!

I have found an interesting statement. It says, that if we have a system of two masses and a wall (all collisions will be elastic ones) with one mass (lets label it as 1) trapped between the other mass (2) and the wall and if there is no friction, then if ratio of masses m2/m1=1, then number of collisions between the masses will be 3, when m2/m1=100 then there will be 31 bounces, if m2/m1=100.000.000 then there will be 31415 collisions etc, the number of collisions will approximate more and more numbers in Pi. How do I explain it?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum, Newton's Law of Restitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated several velocities of masses to see if there is some simple rule. What I got is that the velocity of 2nd mass is:

[tex]V_1=v\cdot \frac{\alpha-1}{\alpha+1}[/tex]

[tex]V_2=v\cdot \frac{\alpha^2+4\alpha-1}{(\alpha+1)^2}[/tex]

[tex]V_3=v\cdot \frac{\alpha ^3 + 13\alpha^2+15\alpha-5}{(\alpha+1)^3}[/tex]

So denominator seems to be fairly regular, but numerator is rather wild.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have forgotten to specify the initial velocities of the masses. With some conditions, such as the outer mass having a velocity greater than that of the inner mass, and directed outside, there will not be any collisions.

We push the outer mass towards the inner, but velocity is not given, I just assumed it to be v. The inner mass is at rest before the first collision occurs.

Are collisions with the wall counted as collisions "between the masses"? I think they should be, otherwise you only get two collisions with equal masses.

Yes, of course, sorry for not being specific. I meant the total count of collisions. All are elastic, no friction between any objects whatsoever. And by alpha I denoted that outer mass is alpha times bigger than inner mass.

Here is the link to the full treatment of the problem by its author: http://ics.org.ru/doc?pdf=440

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a collision?

A collision is a physical event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their motion and energy.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How is the number of collisions determined?

The number of collisions can be determined by counting the total number of times two objects come into contact with each other during a given period of time.

4. Are all collisions between objects elastic?

No, not all collisions are elastic. Collisions can be elastic, inelastic, or completely inelastic, depending on the objects involved and the nature of the collision.

5. What factors affect the number of collisions in a system?

The number of collisions in a system can be affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the objects, the mass and size of the objects, and any external forces or obstacles present in the system.