Ordinary vs. partial derivatives

In summary, the use of partial derivative symbol vs. ordinary derivative symbol in mathematical equations is a matter of indicating the number of independent variables in the function being differentiated. While they may yield the same result computationally, the use of partial symbol acknowledges the presence of multiple independent variables, providing a better understanding of the problem at hand.
DiracPool
I'm thinking in particular about Lenny Susskind's lectures, but I've seen other lecturers do it too. They'll be writing equation after equation using the partial derivative symbol:

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex]

And then at some point they'll realize that some problem they're currently doing is only in one variable and they'll get very embarassed, erase the partial d symbol, and replace it with an ordinary d symbol, like so:

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]

My question is, Why does it matter? Why not just always use the partial symbol? You'd get the same result, wouldn't you? I mean, you wouldn't get a wrong answer if you used the partial symbol instead of the ordinary one. The only relevance in their distinction is to indicate whether or not the problem is a single or multi-variable one, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in using the partial symbol you are acknowledging that there are several independent variables to the function you're differentiating whereas in using the d/dx notation you are saying its dependent on x only and no other.

Computationally they are the same but your insight into what's going is more important and this helps the reader understand the problem better knowing that there are other free variables in the mix.

1. What is the difference between ordinary and partial derivatives?

Ordinary derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to that variable. Partial derivatives, on the other hand, are used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you calculate an ordinary derivative?

To calculate an ordinary derivative, you use the derivative formula, which is f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h. This means you find the difference between the function values at two points and divide it by the difference in the x-values of those two points, as the points get closer and closer together.

3. Can you give an example of a function with both ordinary and partial derivatives?

Yes, a common example is the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2. This function has an ordinary derivative of 2x and partial derivatives of 2x and 2y with respect to x and y, respectively.

4. How are ordinary and partial derivatives used in real life?

Ordinary derivatives are used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a physical quantity, such as velocity or acceleration. Partial derivatives are used in fields such as economics and engineering to analyze how a multi-variable system changes with respect to one of its variables.

5. Is it possible for a function to have a partial derivative but not an ordinary derivative?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a partial derivative but not an ordinary derivative. This can occur when the function is not continuous or differentiable at a certain point, but its partial derivatives exist at that point.