Solve Break-Even Point w/ Annuities Formula

• Thread starter Sagelm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Annuity
In summary, the equation proposed is a valid approach to finding the break even point, but factors such as the discount rate and potential changes in recurring income should be taken into consideration. The use of a financial calculator or spreadsheet program can help solve the equation and optimize for the break even point.
Sagelm
Hi guys I am trying to come up with an equation to solve for a break even point. Basically I have an initial outlay of cash with then a trail of income in the subsequent months. I need to know how often per year I need to receive this trail of income in order for the future discounted cash flows to equal the future value of my initial outlay of cash. I hope that makes some sought of sense.

The way I was thinking was using an annuities formula as follows:

156,433.8 is my future value of the cash spent up front.

8,350 is my recurring income that remains constant throughout.

I've used 8% as my discount factor and it's over a period of 5 years (compounding monthly)

156,433.8 = 8,350 (((1 + (0.08/12) x)^(60/x) - 1)/((0.08/12) x))

Firstly I'm not 100% whether my formula is correct and second of all I'm stumped on how to solve it.

I'm trying to build this function into excel if anyone knows any tricks there.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question with us. The equation you have proposed is indeed a valid approach to solving for a break even point. However, there are a few factors that need to be taken into consideration in order to accurately calculate this point.

Firstly, the discount rate of 8% may not be the most appropriate for your specific situation. The discount rate should reflect the opportunity cost of the initial cash outlay, meaning the rate of return that could have been earned if the cash was invested elsewhere. Therefore, it may be necessary to adjust the discount rate to better reflect the actual cost of the initial outlay.

Additionally, the recurring income of 8,350 may not remain constant throughout the entire period. If there are any changes in the amount or timing of the income, this will affect the break even point. It may be helpful to consider using a more dynamic equation that takes into account any potential changes in the recurring income.

As for solving the equation, the best approach would be to use a financial calculator or a spreadsheet program such as Excel. In Excel, you can use the Goal Seek function to solve for a specific value. You can also use the Solver add-in to optimize the equation and find the exact break even point.

I hope this information helps you in your calculations. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the break-even point with annuities formula?

The break-even point with annuities formula is a mathematical equation used to determine the point at which the total cost of an investment is equal to the total revenue generated from the investment. It takes into account the size of the investment, the interest rate, and the number of periods in which the investment will generate returns.

2. How is the break-even point with annuities formula calculated?

The formula for calculating the break-even point with annuities is:
Break-Even Point = Investment / (Annual Payment - Interest Rate)
This equation takes into account the size of the initial investment, the annual payment generated from the investment, and the interest rate at which the investment is expected to grow.

3. What is the significance of knowing the break-even point with annuities?

Knowing the break-even point with annuities allows investors to make informed decisions about their investments. It helps them understand how long it will take for their investment to start generating profits and at what point their investment will become profitable. It also allows investors to compare different investment options to determine which one will yield the highest returns.

4. Can the break-even point with annuities formula be used for all types of investments?

No, the break-even point with annuities formula is specifically designed for investments that generate annual payments at a fixed interest rate. It may not be applicable to investments with variable interest rates or those that do not generate annual payments.

5. How can the break-even point with annuities formula be used to make investment decisions?

The break-even point with annuities formula can be used to compare different investment options and determine which one will yield the highest returns in the shortest amount of time. It can also be used to determine the minimum annual payment required for an investment to break even, which can help investors negotiate better terms with lenders or partners.